Airplay question.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bAdNitro, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

Ok, so I only looked at the first 2 pages of threads since I'm not looking through 33 pages to find if this was asked before or not lol.

Any way. I know Mountain Lion allows the Mini to stream TO an ATV. My question is (and I've seen conflicting information with many google searches) does the Mini have the availability to RECEIVE an AirPlay signal from the iPad? Meaning can I stream my videos from my iPad to my Mini?

I don't have my mini yet, but I'll be getting one within 2 weeks.

The reason I'm asking this is my Mini will be attached to my TV and I would rather not have to buy yet another device from apple. I know it's only $100, but that's $100 I can save since the ONLY reason I would need an ATV is to stream from my iPad. If I can do the same with the Mini, I'll be extremely happy.

I know a lot of people are thinking "just use iTunes" or something similar. This isn't going to work for my specific needs. The movies are not synced with iTunes, and they're only on my iPad. I guess theoretically I can transfer from iPad to Mini and then just play from the mini itself, but why use the extra disk space if I can just stream from iPad to Mini, without making additional copies.

2. bAdNitro thread starter macrumors member

bAdNitro

That seems to provide somewhat what I'm looking for, but what was it talking about AirTunes? Sorry for the noobish questions, but my Mini will be my first Mac. So I don't know these apps developed for OSX. I know all about IOS but nothing about OSX lol.

That link you sent me will send audio and video while keeping the original format correct? it says it uses quicktime, but that won't compress or ruin quality will it? Cause the movies I'll be streaming are either 720p, or 1080p and they work PERFECTLY with my friend's ATV. No loss of quality either video or audio, and no buffering or stopping. That's what I want with the Mini if it's possible.

3. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I am a noob as only got my MBP 2 weeks ago, however my google skills are very honed. ;) Quicktime uses h.264 so no, you won't lose quality. :apple:

4. bAdNitro thread starter macrumors member

bAdNitro

HAHA I can't believe I didn't just google that :p

Cool thanks for the Info. :D

5. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

If anyone can make this work I would greatly appreciate some guidance. I have a 2011 Mini running Mountain Lion and it simply does not work. The server application launches, but it is not seen by my iPad or iPhone, both running iOS 5.0.1. The last update to the airmac software is a year old, and I don't see any indication that this will be updated to work with ML.

6. bAdNitro thread starter macrumors member

bAdNitro

Regardless of whether this will fix your issue or not, you need to update to 5.1.1 on iPad and iPhone before apple stops signing it. If you're worried about a jailbreak or anything, both devices are untethered on 5.1.1

Maybe it'll fix your issue, maybe not, but it's worth a shot lol.

Also, I'm ordering my mini in a week. I'll figure it out and let you know.

7. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

8. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I guess I just forgot what the current version is. I have 5.1.1 (9B206) on my iPhone. The iPad is also right up to date.

I'm going to check out Airserver that Dewroo suggested.