Airplay questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eldiablojoe, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm not sure if this should be in the iPod forum, the Mac Apps forum (I can't believe there isn't an iTunes forum), or the MacRumors forum.

Subject: Airplay.

Went to the local Apple Store yesterday for a One-to-One appointment. I asked one of the associates if any of the dozen speakers they have on display were AirPlay compatible. He looked at me like I was crazy. After refreshing his memory on the topic briefly, he said that no, it was too new and suggested I add an Airport Express to my system to achieve my desired results (to stream music to speakers in my house).

Question: Will AirPlay negate the need for an Airport Express?

I'm expecting that very soon AirPlay compatible speaker(s) will come to market which will handle wirelessly all the necessary work to stream music from my iDevices to the speakers.

Am I understanding AirPlay and its potential correctly?

Thanks!

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yep. There apparently are some devices already on the market. Airport Express does a little more than just streaming tunes, though, like wireless printing and acting as a mini-router, so bear that in mind.

4. temiller macrumors member

Not only a Mini-Router, its a network extender also. So you don't have to replace your current router. Just put it in the room with the speaker system you want to control and connect it to your current network. My roommate has the router in his room, so I just put an Air Port Express in my room and connected my Printer to it, and used a splitter to hook up my desktop speakers and my surround sound (I like to switch it up once in a while). I can now control the music and what not with my MBP and not have to have my Desktop on to use the speakers.

5. padma macrumors newbie

Seems like a useless feature. Don't they already make speakers that connect like this?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

AirPlay does video as well with an AppleTV.

It's no where near useless for me. Instead of having to grab my MacBook to listen to something on my AX and 7.1 system I can pull out my iPhone and stream it from that. It basically takes a device out of the loop. I can't wait for 4.2 to get jailbroken so I can upgrade.