Airplay Server for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Beardyman, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Beardyman macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display an an iPad 3. I would love to use my iPad as an external display. Usually I use a 27" display but if I am away from my desk I obviously can't use it. As I usually carry my iPad when carrying my MacBook it would be great to use the iOS device as a display.

I found several apps on the AppStore which promise just that. The only problem is that I would have to install something on the MacBook for each of those apps and i don't want that. I am using Mavericks, which supports external displays via AirPlay. Is there any software, that can turn my iPad into a AirPlay receiver to make this work?

Thanks for your help!

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Sorry, impossible, even with jailbreaking. The JB-only AirServer app ($1 now) can only receive / display still images. (It also stated to support audio / video files but, in my tests, it has consistently failed to receive & play them.) In this regard, it's way inferior to its desktop-only ($15) brother, which can even be mirrored to, let alone simple multimedia streaming.