Airplay speakers for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 0leg, May 25, 2015.

1. 0leg macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying Harman Kardon Onyx speaker as a wireless sound system for my retina macbook. Has anyone any experience using airplay speakers with macs? Is it convenient? Any pros and cons? Thanks!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

It should function the same way it does via an AirPort Express, meaning a 2 second delay on audio. Video playback in browsers (which will be unaware of the AirPlay device and so can't adjust for the delay) will be hugely impractical. It'll work with audio, but it'll be 2 seconds behind the video on YouTube etc.

3. 0leg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Didn't actually thought about it. It turns out that airplay speakers are only good for itunes music (and video).

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, and other players that support it.
    As a general sound system, though, it's just not practical.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not have a 2 second delay with AirPlay either here or at school. That being said, you are entirely at the mercy of the network quality when it comes to AirPlay and other wireless streams.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Well, I'll be damned. It seems it's been sorted for YouTube in one of the recent updates to Yosemite. Nice!
    I still have audio delay in videos on other sites, though (nbc.com, imdb.com, etc.). Don't you?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you're using audio only airplay, you do have a 2 second delay. it's the way airplay works.

if the audio and video are in sync, then the video is being delayed to match the audio.

it looks like apple may have fixed the problem when the browser uses quicktime to play a video (mp4, like youtube has switched to), It will delay the video to match, but if you're not using quicktime (probably flash) it's not able to.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't see a full two second delay. It is much more slight than that for me.