Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Has anyone a working Airplay (audio) setup with OS 10.8/10.9, iTunes 10/11 and any Denon/Marantz AV receiver with native Airplay support?

Mine worked perfectly, but stopped working about a year ago under OS 10.7 oder 10.8 and some iTunes 10 version - and no OS / iTunes / firmware update has restored it since then.

My setup

Airport Extreme as router - the network is wired (gigabit switch), wireless only for wireless devices such as iPhone
Mac Pro (2008), OS 10.9, iTunes 11.1.3
2x Apple TVs 3rd gen
Denon 3312 AV receiver
Marantz 5006 AV receiver
iPhone 5s

All devices have the latest software/firmware.

I used to use iTunes Airplay music streaming to my AV receivers, which support Airplay natively - I selected the receivers for this feature and switched from Onkyo receivers.

Airplay music streaming from iTunes to the receivers worked perfectly, until it suddenly stopped working sometime a year ago - which means, the audio stream will simply stop playing after a few minutes, and the receiver needs a reset to work again als Airplay speaker.

It curiously still worked wirelessly from iOS devices - which was a workaround, but also stopped working in the beforementioned manner - I guess since iOS 7.

On the same network Airplay audio streaming to the Apple TVs works without a problem.

It seems to me that Apple has something changed in the AirPlay protocol whichs breaks compatibility with (licensed) 3rd party Airplay audio devices.

According to some forum articles there was a problem with IPv6 and Airplay streaming and the advice was given to deactivate IPv6 in network settings (which was possible via GUI in OS 10.6 but requires a terminal command in OS 10.7 upwards) - this helped initially with iTunes 10, but doesn't make a difference in iTunes 11.

Since the problem exists for over a year my hopes at Apple fixing it are gone...

It's really frustrating, since it used to work wonderfully - it's the exact opposite of the Apple experience: it simply does not work (anymore).

Has anyone further insight?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Can't help with a fix but works fine with OSX 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 and iTunes 10 and 11 with my Denon 1613. No problems with iOS 7 either. Have you tried rebooting your router and/or the receiver? Oh and I've never turned off IPv6.

Have you looked for firmware updates for your receivers?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

^This.

In a perfect world when Apple makes an update, all accessory vendors get a memo to update their stuff too and BAM the customers don't miss a beat. Unfortunately...

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Can't help with a fix but works fine with OSX 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 and iTunes 10 and 11 with my Denon 1613. No problems with iOS 7 either. Have you tried rebooting your router and/or the receiver? Oh and I've never turned off IPv6.

I think I've tried everything... :)

And as stated in the original post - all devices have the latest software/firmware.

Thanks for your feedback - helps to know that it works at all.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I think I've tried everything... :)

And as stated in the original post - all devices have the latest software/firmware.

Thanks for your feedback - helps to know that it works at all.

Sorry, missed that line (happens when I read long posts on my iPhone I tend to skip over stuff).

Good luck figuring it out. Clearly it is working for a couple of us, just not sure why it isn't working for you. I assume your receivers are getting IP addresses right?

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Sorry, missed that line (happens when I read long posts on my iPhone I tend to skip over stuff).

Good luck figuring it out. Clearly it is working for a couple of us, just not sure why it isn't working for you. I assume your receivers are getting IP addresses right?

Yes, of course.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I have a Denon 3312 too, but I usually Airplay music from my iPad. I'll try to test it from OS X tonight.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you tried rebooting your router?

most problems i've had with airplay have been fixed by this.

or look at settings on your router, in particular WMM fixed some issues from me. try toggling the setting.

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
have you tried rebooting your router?

most problems i've had with airplay have been fixed by this.

or look at settings on your router, in particular WMM fixed some issues from me. try toggling the setting.

Yes, I also restored factory settings and configured it from scratch.

Since it's working elsewhere, maybe it's nonetheless a problem with the Airport Extreme (2nd gen - 802.11n, Gigabit).

I would instantly upgrade to the new 802.11ac Airport if I knew for sure that it would solve the problem - I just dont want to buy it for nothing...

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I tested it on my Denon 4311CI (attached via ethernet) and it works without a problem. This is via a mac mini attached via ethernet and I tested it separately with a laptop (MBP) over wifi.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I just tested my Denon 3312CI connected via power line ethernet with a Macbook Air with OS X 10.9 on WiFi. No issue streaming audio from iTunes via AirPlay to the Denon.

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I just tested my Denon 3312CI connected via power line ethernet with a Macbook Air with OS X 10.9 on WiFi. No issue streaming audio from iTunes via AirPlay to the Denon.

May I ask which router you are using?

----------

I tested it on my Denon 4311CI (attached via ethernet) and it works without a problem. This is via a mac mini attached via ethernet and I tested it separately with a laptop (MBP) over wifi.

----------

Haven't had any problems with Airplay with Mavericks, iTunes 11 and my 4520ci.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I was running an AirPort Extreme and never had a problem. Now I have the Extreme in bridge mode connected to a Linksys AC900.

jaquade

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
AirPlay doesn't work on Denon 1913 or Pioneer Elite

My configuration:
3TB Time Capsule - Firmware 7.7.3
3 Apple TV's - hard wired to Time Capsule
1 Denon 1913
1 Pioneer SC 65
Various IOS 7 Devices and Mac's

All have the latest firmware. I can Air Play from the IOS Devices and the Mac's to all the Apple TV's. I can enter the IP address of both receivers in my browser and can adjust / configure the receivers. I can control both receivers using their IOS App.

I can not for the life of me get either device to show up in Air Play on any IOS or Mac Device. I have installed a switch between the Receiver and the Time Capsule and have removed and it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas. This problem started when I replaced my older Time Capsule with the 3TB Time Capsule.. I have half a mind to buy a wired router only and just use the TC for over the air backup's. I have spoken to Apple, Denon and Pioneer, none have provided me any solutions to change the configuration of my Time Capsule.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
I know this is a thread from when Mavericks was released, but it helped with my Airplay/Denon receiver issues.

As one of the posters stated, rebooting the router (in this case an Airport Extreme) allowed me to stream via Airplay though iTunes to my Denon Receiver.

I hope this helps anyone else with this issue with Yosemite.

tommy turnip

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
AirPlay doesn't work on Denon 1913 or Pioneer Elite

My configuration:
3TB Time Capsule - Firmware 7.7.3
3 Apple TV's - hard wired to Time Capsule
1 Denon 1913
1 Pioneer SC 65
Various IOS 7 Devices and Mac's

All have the latest firmware. I can Air Play from the IOS Devices and the Mac's to all the Apple TV's. I can enter the IP address of both receivers in my browser and can adjust / configure the receivers. I can control both receivers using their IOS App.

I can not for the life of me get either device to show up in Air Play on any IOS or Mac Device. I have installed a switch between the Receiver and the Time Capsule and have removed and it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas. This problem started when I replaced my older Time Capsule with the 3TB Time Capsule.. I have half a mind to buy a wired router only and just use the TC for over the air backup's. I have spoken to Apple, Denon and Pioneer, none have provided me any solutions to change the configuration of my Time Capsule.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

tommy turnip

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
I had a problem with my Marantz network receiver m-cr510 disappearing from the Marantz app on my Apple devices and also from Airplay. It had worked for a few weeks and I have no idea why it stopped working. My network was running through a 2TB time capsule plugged in to a Virgin media Superhub which had it's wireless turned off.
Strangely, it could receive internet radio, but wasn't appearing on my devices. My smart TV did appear though on the Marantz App.

I turned the wireless back on, on the Superhub and connected the Marantz and my iPhone to that network and Hey Presto! everything is working fine.

Goodie23

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Sandy Hook, CT
Has anyone a working Airplay (audio) setup with OS 10.8/10.9, iTunes 10/11 and any Denon/Marantz AV receiver with native Airplay support?

Mine worked perfectly, but stopped working about a year ago under OS 10.7 oder 10.8 and some iTunes 10 version - and no OS / iTunes / firmware update has restored it since then.

My setup

Airport Extreme as router - the network is wired (gigabit switch), wireless only for wireless devices such as iPhone
Mac Pro (2008), OS 10.9, iTunes 11.1.3
2x Apple TVs 3rd gen
Denon 3312 AV receiver
Marantz 5006 AV receiver
iPhone 5s

All devices have the latest software/firmware.

I used to use iTunes Airplay music streaming to my AV receivers, which support Airplay natively - I selected the receivers for this feature and switched from Onkyo receivers.

Airplay music streaming from iTunes to the receivers worked perfectly, until it suddenly stopped working sometime a year ago - which means, the audio stream will simply stop playing after a few minutes, and the receiver needs a reset to work again als Airplay speaker.

It curiously still worked wirelessly from iOS devices - which was a workaround, but also stopped working in the beforementioned manner - I guess since iOS 7.

On the same network Airplay audio streaming to the Apple TVs works without a problem.

It seems to me that Apple has something changed in the AirPlay protocol whichs breaks compatibility with (licensed) 3rd party Airplay audio devices.

According to some forum articles there was a problem with IPv6 and Airplay streaming and the advice was given to deactivate IPv6 in network settings (which was possible via GUI in OS 10.6 but requires a terminal command in OS 10.7 upwards) - this helped initially with iTunes 10, but doesn't make a difference in iTunes 11.

Since the problem exists for over a year my hopes at Apple fixing it are gone...

It's really frustrating, since it used to work wonderfully - it's the exact opposite of the Apple experience: it simply does not work (anymore).

Has anyone further insight?
[doublepost=1506180502][/doublepost]I had the same issue with my Denon X4000 and it was driving me crazy after rebooting router, shutting Denon off, etc. I fixed it by going to my netgear routing settings and changing the wifi channel. Problem solved.

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Hastings, East Sussex, England
I also have this problem!!! To me it seems like TVoS has completely buggered up my setup !
Airplay works on my iPhone running iOS11 and Mac OS High Sierra connecting to my Marantz MCR-611 but not from my Apple TV ver 4 after the update, before TVoS was updated it WORKED!

metemp102502

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Having same problem with my Denon AVR-1912on iMac with High Sierra 10. Airplay works fine with Apple TV. Latest firmware, rebooting router does nothing. Just get the message, "The AirPlay device “DENON:[AVR-1912]” is not compatible with this version of iTunes." So i though I'd try on a Windows 10 computer with iTunes 11, rather that 12 on my Mac. Message "An error occurred while connecting to the AirP{lay device."DENON: [AVR 1912]". An unknown error occurred (20). Different message, same result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.