Airplay: Streaming Music between Ipod and Macbook

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tdawg, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Tdawg macrumors newbie

I recently heard about Airplay as a possible solution for listening to music both on my macbook and ipod (hooked up to Bose speakers) simultaneously in different rooms around the house via WiFi. However, it is not clear to me how to set this up. Do I have to plug the ipod speakers into an airport express? or do I have to replace my expensive Bose speakers for my ipod with the new AirPlay compatible speakers that are coming out?

It would make more sense to me if this could all be done with apps and I wouldn't have to purchase additional hardware (airport express or special speakers) in order to listen to music in multiple rooms. I checked out Airfoil as a solution, but I am hoping that Airplay will do the same and better. I downloaded the latest Itunes and os for my ipod, but I don't know how to setup Airplay in order to stream music throughout the house.

2. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

AirPlay is the new feature of iOS4.2. That allows you to stream from iOS-Devices to ATV. Maybe even between iOS devices.

Airport Express is an existing hardware (WIFI-Access-Point) which you connect to your stereo amplifier to stream music from iTunes.

Probably you'll be able to stream to iOS devices once iOS 4.2 is released.

You'll have to replace your speakers with AirPlay compatible ones(not yet available) if you want to use AirPlay. Otherwise you can buy an Airport Express and connect it to your existing speakers.

I would suggest you to check out the sonos zoneplayer, it's more versatile if it comes to music streaming. Or just wait till x-mas/iOS 4.2 to see what else is possible via AirPlay.

3. Tdawg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Supermassive

Hey Supermassive,

Thanks so much for clarifying this. I couldn't find any information that specifically answered my questions until you came along. I will wait to see what comes out in the next ios update.

Thanks so much.

Tdawg