Airplay Stuttering

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Snimo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Snimo macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've been trawling through the internet for days trying to find a solution to this.

This is my set-up:
    * Mid 2011 21" imac, with 12GB ram.
    * ATV3
    * Iphone 4
    * Sky Fibre Optic 40mb Broadband (wirless N)

My problem is that when i try and airplay mirror video from my imac, it stutters like crazy, for example streaming from itv player website, looks fine on my imac screen, but when i stream it to my TV via the apple TV it lags really badly.

This has only recently been happening, it never used to happen?

Also to further complicate things, streaming the same thing from my iphone 4 does not lag at all?

Any ideas? new drivers for imac or something? im stuck?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Login to a different account, make a new one if there is none, and try from there, if it goes well from that account there are issues in your normal account.

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

How's performance if you're watching something on the ATV directly? Have you checked your wireless network performance? It sounds as if you may have low network bandwidth and that going from router to one box is fine, but going from router to box to box is swamping it.

4. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the replies,

I have tried it on two separate ATV3's one downstairs and one upstairs, same problem.

Dont think its a bandwidth issue cause we've just upgraded with our current supplier to fibre optic broadband, we also got a wirless N router with that too which we didnt have before.

Also, playing stuff on the ATv from itunes movies, or from netflix is really good, the problems only arises from airplay mirroring :(

Any other ideas?

5. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean the user account on my mac, if so i've tried that and it didnt seem to work :(

6. testeri macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Mid -11 27" 2.7GHz and ATV3 connected to the router with cable. Everything else is fine exept mirroring movies, which are jerky on the tv screen. Maybe try connecting your computer to ATV via cable?

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Obviously it is not a bandwidth problem then.

What system version are the both of you on(OP and you)?
    Might have something to do with bugs.

That's what I meant, so any User related issue isn't the problem.

8. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, that would probably work, but id be so close to the TV then i might aswell plug my imac straight into my TV and cut out the ATV, but i wanted to do it wirelessly, thats why i bought the ATV's :p

Its driving me mad, why work one day then the next day never work again?

9. testeri macrumors newbie

I've been through all the Mountain Lion updates to the current 10.8.2 and the problem was always there. ATV is updated also.

If it works through cable, then you have your problem with the wireless connection between ATV and iMac? :) I suspect that there might be too much interference with other wifi networks...

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What you also could do is:

Repair permission
    Empty caches, both User and System.
    Reset PRAM.

11. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all the tips, I will try them out tonight when I finish work 

I’ll let you know how I get on 

I think it could have something to do with the wireless connection, as we recently upgraded got a new router and stuff, then the ATV started stuttering, so any tips on how to check for wireless conflicts.

Although, why would airplay from my mac stutter, but not from my iphone when they are both on the same wifi network?

also i have the latest version of mountain lion on my imac :)

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, you forgot to mention that.;):p

Edit: Tips

If all your equipment is capable of 2.4 and 5 GHz Freq. change it to the other one.
    You could also try to set a fixed channel number instead of it being set by the router/wireless devices.

13. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but then wouldnt that also effect the mirroring from my iphone?

14. bernuli macrumors 6502

I am having a similar problem, which I have narrowed down to our router supplied by Verizon FIOS. I have not got around to it, but my guess is installing a newer router or airport express to replace the verizon box will fix the problem.

Will try next week.

B

15. Gumbys69 macrumors newbie

Gumbys69

I know this may sound weird but mine does the same thing when my microwave is on. You getting any interference from something like that?

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That's because it is in the same Frequency range, best way to solve it is to set it to a different channel, it could solve the problem.

17. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I tried all the solutions on here last night and nothing seems to be working, i have decided that this isnt an internet problem as i can airplay fine from my iphone and (as tested last night) from a friends macbook, all over the same wifi network.

So if i eliminate the internet as a problem, and also can eliminate the apple TV as, i've got 2 apple TV's and they both have the same problem when airplaying from my mac, then that leaves the imac.

I logged into the guest user account to try airplaying from that, but i still had the same stuttery laggy video quality (streaming from the bbc iplayer website), so it doesnt look like its a problem with my user account.

Therefore, surely the problem lies with my mac? but what could be causing this?

I'm really confused, should i take my mac back? its still under warranty?

18. justperry, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have any external disk(HDD), you could try to install OS X on it and then boot from it, if it's gone than there seems to be a OS related, if not hardware problem, or an OS bug.

Edit: I though you already reinstalled OS X before but it seems you didn't

19. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

When you airplay content from your iMac, is it local content from the hard disk or streamed from elsewhere or both? I still think there's some form of channel contention on your wireless and that your iPhone and MacBooks are using different channels.

20. testeri macrumors newbie

What I find funny, is that Beamer mirrors movies perfectly. Not a single frame skipped. Even with 720p material. Too bad that the program is quite limited, and I don't like the idea of having to buy more software because something isn't working as it is supposed to... :(

21. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

just to update you, ive now erased my harddrave and clean installed mountain lion.

The problem is still there

I have changed my wireless channel from 1 to 6 to 11 all not solving my problem.

I'm really really at a loss :(

22. testeri macrumors newbie

Did you try the cable? I think that's the key element... If it doesn't work, the problem definately is the OS.

23. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There are just 3 things left then.

1. Router/Modem problem.

2. OS related.

3. Hardware related.

Possible solutions.

1. Try a different branded router/modem, maybe from Family/friends.

2. Download 10.6 OS or get copy from Family/friends, look if it works and delete the OS again(Since it is illegal???)

3. Bring/Send it to Apple, or run AHT if there are any hardware issues.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Pop to maplin buy two cheap Ethernet cables cat 5e will do and directly connect you atv and iMac to your router and test it. If it solves the issue then it's a wireless issue which I suspect it is.

You say your mirroring iplayer so your mac is downloading the data processing it then dumping back over wifi to your atv. You need a nice strong pre-n signal to do what your asking!

25. Snimo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the ethernet cable tonight, I really dont see how it can be the internet though, and this is why, we used to have sky unlited broadband, with a wireless b/g router, download speed was at most 1MB/s

So we upgraded to sky's more expensive package for fibre optic broadband, which came with a wirless N router and our download speed is about 5MB/s now.

What I dont understand is why would i be able to stream from iplayer and then mirror that to my ATV lag free before on my worse internet connection but then when i upgrade and get faster download speeds its lags when i do airplay mirroring?