Airplay to a car stereo...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

So I've been obsessing about playing my iPhone wirelessly to my truck stereo. I've been thinking of a way to hook up my airport express, it's doable but slightly a pain and a little expensive.

Is there a stereo system that has airplay built in yet? I can't find one...

Anybody have any other ideas how to wirelessly listen with decent sound quality?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My stereo supports A2DP bluetooth (which shows under the AirPlay icon but isn't really airplay), but the quality isn't as good as a wired connection, so I tend to use the wired one all the time. I'm sure someone will bring out AirPlay support for Car stereos at some point

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

I just wanted to say that a few stereos support BlueTooth A2DP for wireless music, but I've never heard it sound good. The quality in my roommates new Camaro and a buddys new Wrangler were both pretty bad. :(. There may be decks that do it well, but I'd definitely read up on user reviews before I purchased.

Hopefully decks that support AirPlay come out soon, and sound a lot better than the A2DP ones I've heard!

4. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts.

I think I'm going to mess around with the airport express and see what kinda quality I can get. I'll post my how to and some pics once I get it figured out if anybody is interested.

5. afd macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering about an airport express in my car too, I have a wired connection to my car's radio, but I get interference from everything electrical in the car when iPhone is charging. I found this guide that I might try along with a 12V USB plug that I might try. The 3.5mm socket is in glovebox so I could hide everything in there.