AirPlay to Multiple Speakers

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by radioman10, Jul 14, 2012.

1. radioman10 macrumors member

Does iOS 6 include the functionality that is included on Macs where I can AirPlay my music to multiple speakers?

Thanks!

2. retrospek macrumors 6502

retrospek

Unfortunately Not - really don't understand why they can't add this !

Only way to send to multiple speakers is via the 'remote' application - which is then really using iTunes on your Mac to send the music.

:(

3. radioman10 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand either. It would be exceptionally helpful to me. I often find myself wanting to AirPlay to multiple speakers directly from my iPhone.

4. PNutts, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I understand you are talking about native functionality, but in case you haven't tried it yet the remote app allows you to play from iTunes to multiple AirPlay speakers.

Edit: Oops. I just read post #2. Sorry.

5. Lara F macrumors 6502a

That's pretty much where Sonos has the edge (with flawless sync), so might be worth looking into if you're especially interested in that functionality.

Note that there's also an iPhone dock or you can hook up an AirPort Express (to the Play:5) and Airplay that way.

6. KStinque, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

KStinque macrumors newbie

another option...

Yeah, the lack of multiple speakers streaming in iOS is lame. though my current set-up works great and doesn't rely on airplay multiple speakers. I have my airport express connected to my both zones of my a/v receiver (if you're interested in how I do this, let me know and I'll give you the details on the multiple zone / digital & analogue set-up for airport express or apple tv). The main zone is the living room where the home theater is. for the second zone of the receiver, I connected a fairly inexpensive wireless speaker system. Each speaker is about $100 and I have three of them in different locations around my house (can have up to 6 connected to a single transmitter with this system and can buy them individually to add on later if I want). I have found this to be a great solution for me the following reasons:

- I only have to stream content from my iOS device or computer to one airplay device which is connected to the a/v receiver (the a/v reciver handles the distribution).
    - No syncing issues at all since I'm only streaming to one airplay device.
    - Don't have to worry about my wifi range for the zone two speakers - just have to make sure the wireless speaker transmitter is in range of the wireless speakers.
    - At $300 for three speakers I own, this is about the same price as the three of the cheapest airplay enabled speaker I could find (philips fidelio) and much cheaper than buying three additional airport expresses and 3 decent non-airplay enabled powered speakers. And WAY cheaper that sonos (not to bash sonos, though - I understand It's pretty awesome). Plus, the speakers I have have a ton of other options, e.g. indoor / outdoor use (water resistant), both the transmitter and the speakers are very portable and can take batteries, can plug a device directly into the speakers which is nice if you wnat to take the speaker on the road, etc., etc.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but just thought I'd share this insight as I've found it to be a great way to get music all around the house with my iOS device since apple doesn't hasn't given us multiple speaker airplay for iOS.

7. bp1000 macrumors 65816

One of the biggest features for me, still waiting for apple to enable it!

Airfoil or iTunes on the mac and remote app for now

Come on apple!

8. kingadjon macrumors newbie

So...

How did you do it?

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Saw some of these recent posts and got to thinking about this--and why IOS devices can only AirPlay to one device. That is usually fine with me but there are times when I may want to send audio to other rooms and the streaming service I use--MOG--just seems to work better with the IOS app than streaming from my Mac.

So I took a look at the Rogue Amoeba site--the creators of AirFoil and found there is a workaround that allows you to use AirFoil and AirFoil Speakers to send IOS audio to multiple devices. Doing it right now. Not perfect but it does work--and works quite well if a bit cumbersome.

http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2012/02/12/send-audio-from-ios-to-multiple-speakers-with-airfoil/