AirPlay to third party devices? [Receivers, etc]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WiiDSmoker, Mar 8, 2011.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Some receivers are coming out now that have AirPlay built in, though this does no good for me as I bought a high end receiver last year. Is there a way to get AirPlay to this receiver using one of the inputs on it?

I have an Apple TV in my bedroom, but I'd like to have this feature in my media room. Maybe it'll be cheaper to get another Apple TV though...

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'm interested in the same thing and at this point it looks like an Apple TV is your best option. Shame they are $99.

3. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I personally think the Apple TV is the perfect solution to the issues at hand. Plus its only $99 bucks. I find it to be quite usefull and easier to use for streaming netflix and youtube. Much better the PS3 on the UI for netflix. and Much quicker to access youtube and other media streaming the your typical Blu-Ray internet connected players.

4. zenio macrumors 6502

Apple may lock out third party devices soon. I wouldn't invest in any.

5. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Waiting to see which car manufacturer is going to implement Airplay into their in-car entertainment system.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What the hell are you talking about? Locking out 3rd party devices to support AirPlay?? Where did you get the crazy idea?

Apple will not lock out 3rd party devices. If anything they are out there encouraging manufactures to use their streaming protocol.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/08...play-and-ios-apps-with-new-vsx-1021-receiver/

7. Krandor macrumors 6502

Apple wants 3rd party companies to support Airplay. It gives them another selling point for iPhone over Android.