Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I have a Pioneer X-SMC3-K dock in my bedroom which supports AirPlay. No matter which device I use (2 x iPhone 4's, 1 x iPad 2 3G), AirPlay is pretty much unusable due to constant audio dropouts/stutters.

Sometimes it drops for a millisecond, other times for 20-30 seconds.

I know it's not the Pioneer at fault as I previously had an AirPort Express hooked up by 3.5mm to an iLuv dock, and the same problem occurred. And that was using a different iPad 2 to the one I have now.

I know it's not my WiFi network, as I have TwonkyServer running on my MBP and it streams to the Pioneer's DLNA Music Player function without a hitch (and also my Xbox 360 and PS3 pick up the DLNA server without a hitch too).

I have Bluetooth turned OFF on my iPad 2 (it's usually ON on my iPhone 4). I also turned off "Ask to join wireless networks", to no avail.

This problem existed on 4.3, 4.3.3 and now 5.0.

Any idea what's going, I'm tearing my hair out.

Funnily enough though, I watched a TV episode on the iPad the other day, 60 minutes long, with the audio going to the Pioneer via AirPlay, and it worked perfectly. But every time I try music, constant (as in every 10 or 20 seconds) dropouts :(

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Try changing the channel of your wifi network. My Airport express used to do that until I did a scan and found my neighbours were encroaching on my channel with their network.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Try changing the channel of your wifi network. My Airport express used to do that until I did a scan and found my neighbours were encroaching on my channel with their network.

I had the same problem, switched the router channel and it fixed it.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
My wifi channel was 1, and a scan showed some neighbours using 1 and 11, so set mine to 6. Exactly the same problem, no difference at all.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Just used the Sky News app and TV Catchup app with audio streaming over AirPlay, watched for a good few minutes, no dropouts. Tried the iPad music app, dropouts within 10 seconds of the song starting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.