Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I read back in August that Apple was working on an update to AirPlay and might announce it at the iPhone event.

We heard nothing about it as far as I can tell.

It was supposed to work where the devices created their own Wi-Fi network instead of requiring that they both be on the same home Wi-Fi network (You know what I mean?)

That is ideal as I wanted to get a nice AirPlay "dock" but some places I go don't have a Wi-Fi signal but I still want to listen to music.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with this feature?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
yeah this is something that I wished was real too, Airplay Direct I believe it was rumoured to be called.

Maybe its being delayed till the March '13 Apple Event?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing that it is enabled in the iPhone 5 and iOS6 but Apple is waiting to announce it with the next generation AppleTV. I'd place my bets on the October event.

Apple likes to control the whole system from A-B but with AirPlay results are different for each person because the quality of their WiFi connection plays an important role. AirPlay Direct will make it much more reliable as a replacement for docking audio systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.