Airplay Video Streaming from MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hrothgar, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I have a late 2011 MBP, running Mavericks. I have some movies that I ripped from DVD and that I play with VideoLAN. I've tried streaming the movies from my MBP through Airplay/AppleTV, but the quality is very poor. (My TV is Samsun 8000.) The image is slow and a bit blurry.

Is this to be expected?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What video size did you rip the movies to? If you chose to rip to fit on an iPhone/iPad, then the image quality won't be good.

I've used RipIt and chose to rip to run on Apple TV (1080p or 720p).

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well I am not going to talk about ripping movies but the quality is important. If your TV supports HD - then 720P should be your minimum. Franky speaking, If I were to see a movie in 720P and then in 1080P or i, I wouldn't know the difference. The idea is that it shouldn't be blurry and a resolution as low as 1280x720 will suffice.

If the video is playing fine on your computer but slow on the TV - then your internet could be an issue. What kind of router do you have? If you're running something like 802.11b kept a decent distance away from your devices - you'll likely run into transfer speed issues.

4. onekerato macrumors regular

You could try the following:

* Use an app like Beamer (http://beamer-app.com/ - trial download available) to send a movie to your apple tv via airplay. This will help you rule out whether your video player is the issue or not.

* On your Apple TV, browse through a Mac on the same network (via iTunes Home Sharing) and play back a 480p or 720p movie. If it plays without stutter then your wifi speeds are ok. Or, you could use a wifi analyzer app to verify signal strength near your Apple TV.

5. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Generally I have no issues but occasionally get stutter when streaming to ATV via iTunes (available on my 2009 Mac Mini) or screen mirroring (available on 2012 MBP which can do the iTunes airplay also) I assume due to WiFi issues. My films are all HD so quality so image excellent.

I would check whether you have other things running on the MBP and also the WiFi signal strength,

6. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it could be any one of a number of problems. I ripped the DVDs using makemkv. I'm not sure what the output setting is? Where do I find that?