Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvmskier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I want to be able to stream music from my iTunes library to the speakers in my home theater as well as other rooms in the house. I have a Sony STR-DN840 receiver which supports Airplay. However, I was testing it out and nearly blew out my speakers when my iPhone set the receiver volume to the maximum level. I did some research and other users seem to have this problem as well. I don't see a way to set the maximum output level via my receiver.

I was thinking about using an Apple TV as the device receiving the Airplay connection and then controlling the volume like any other input on my receiver. Is anyone else doing the same thing? Does the Apple TV communicate with the receiver over HDMI to set the volume or have a volume control?

I have a WD TV live that I use for streaming mkv files from my linux box but I don't like it as a music streaming device. The UI isn't that great and I want to be able to have multiple speakers receiving the same audio. I'd also like to be able to control the current track and volume from my iPhone.

I think this is the best solution:

iPhone (remote app) ---> macbook with iTunes library ---> Apple TV ---> receiver

...and at the same time...

iPhone (remote app) ---> macbook with iTunes library --->other airplay capable speakers

This would also give me the ability to share the screen of my MacBooks, iPhones, or iPads. The Apple TV wouldn't be just an expensive volume restrictor.

Thoughts?

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
I use the remote app (on iPhone or iPad) to stream music from my Mac Mini to Apple TV to receiver.

The remote app has a volume slider (open from the lower left corner the name of your music source on your computer) which should appear in the upper right area of the app.

Works great for music, but disappears on movies...

Good luck!

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I think you just should get an Apple TV. Would make it a lot less complicated than trying to adjust volume through remote app as the above poster suggested.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
I think you just should get an Apple TV. Would make it a lot less complicated than trying to adjust volume through remote app as the above poster suggested.

I USE an AppleTV.

I USE the remote app to adjust the volume.

It's NOT complicated.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Here I fixed it for you
I USE an AppleTV.

I USE the remote app to adjust the volume.

It's NOT complicated.

I DON'T read the above comment before quoting them.

...he was saying its a lot less complicated doing it with the remote app when you have a Apple TV...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If you're streaming from the phone to your receiver, you can adjust the volume using the volume buttons on the phone

the receiver should remember the last volume it was set to when you start to send. I'm guessing for some reason it defaulted to full for the first time you sent audio.

as you've said using iTunes on the macbook allows you to send to multiple speakers at the same time.

I've got a denon receiver with airplay and use it all the time with no volume problems.
I also have an :apple:TV, but don't use that for music for a couple reasons.
* if the receiver is off, and you start to airplay to it, it powers on an selects the correct input automatically. with the aTV you would have to power the receiver up and change inputs.
* i have the aTV input on the denon set to simulate surround sound for stereo audio which is good for movies and TV shows, but I prefer music to just be in stereo and not coming out of the rear speakers. The airplay input is set to just stereo.

If you're going through the aTV, and the volume is turned down on the stereo, you'll be limited to that volume unless you go to the stereo and adjust it.
when going straight to the stereo and you adjust the volume on itunes or your phone, it's the same as turning the knob on your stereo.

to receiver -- volume of airplay = what you hear
to aTV -- (volume of aTV + volume of stereo) = what you hear -- too many volume controls

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.