AirPlay - what are we "really" waiting for?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by dtommyd, Apr 8, 2011.

1. dtommyd macrumors newbie

So between a vacation and selling my iPad 1 and waiting for my iPad 2, I've been out of the loop a little. Installing new versions of apps on my new iPad 2 I couldn't wait to get the AirPlay up and running with my new dual core iPad to see what it can really do. I come to find out nothing has changed. The promises of all of these apps to be running with AirPlay enabled hasn't happened in the last month. Am I supposed to believe that we're waiting a month from all of these apps? Apps that i previously used flawlessly with airplay on a jailbroken ipad? From my understanding of airplay is its essentually about 3 sentences of code (in layman's terms). Apple has to be holding this up. I find it hard to believe that in the last month 5 apps made that jump. I'm not even talking about the sites that are AirPlay enabled. Is Apple sitting on these apps to be approved or what am I missing here. Is it the rumors that apple wants to licence AirPlay? Someone please explain this to me. My iPad 2 feels confined and I'm not going to wait much longer. I'm very forgiving when hardware just can't keep up, when I know there are reasons that say an iPhone can't play an AVI movie very well. I get it. My iPad 2 can do ALOT more than this and I'm getting fed up.

2. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

For it to work with the PS3, which won't happen.

3. EmmEff macrumors regular

I'm confused :confused::confused::confused:

What are you unable to do now with iOS 4.3 and an iPad that you can do with your "jailbroken ipad" with respect to AirPlay?

I can stream video from my Mac-hosted iTunes library to my iPad. I can stream from my iPhone and iPad to my AppleTV.

By licensing to devices, Apple intends people to be able to stream from their iDevices to their home theater receiver (for example). I believe Pioneer Electronics is one of the first companies to license the technology.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Are you talking about wireless mirroring over airplay? Because I don't think that was ever promised.

I'm guessing a lot of it has less to do with Apple and more with the content licensors. Companies like Hulu have always had a stick up their butt about playing their content on a TV screen.

5. dtommyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up

What are you unable to do now with iOS 4.3 and an iPad that you can do with your "jailbroken ipad" with respect to AirPlay?
    When I had the jailbreak on my iPad1, it was nearly, what you see is what you get. If it played, you could send it with AirPlay. (all sites and some apps). Full video. I don't consider sending just the audio the full AirPlay experience.
    I'm truly not trying to be negative, it's frustrating knowing what I could do. If I can goto veetle.com on my laptop and watch it full screen, or play it on my tv I don't understand why I can't do the same with AirPlay? But then, it now goes back to the site that has to put in the code to let it be used with AirPlay. Did that site enter code about me watching it on my Dell? On my MacBook with a vga out? No, of course not. That sounds dumb doesn't it. So what is this extra layer of code/ protection/ hand holding?

One more beef. Hosting files on my computer (Air Video and others), then accessing it with my iPad, then sending it to an apple tv, isn't progress. It's a step backwards. Tying up 3 things to play 1 movie. Seriously. This is getting convoluted.
    Sorry so ranty.

Wireless mirroring would be cool but no I don't expect that.