Airplay with Airport Express Success

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Moccasin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

My slide into Apple's grasp continued today with the first phase of my planned home entertainment upgrade.

I bought the Airport Express today and quickly set up Airplay through my old Amp controlled from my iPhone. It also allowed me to All the old DNLA routes I tried before were very clunky... this (so far) "just works".

The next stage is to get an ATV and a new AV receiver and then I can use the AE for another set of speakers I'll set up elsewhere in the house with the amp. I'll wait until the upcoming event to see whether ATV2 gets updated before getting one.

I love the fact that the remote app allows you to choose the speaker outputs for the music. I can see myself ..err... listening.... to more music now.

I had a minor scare with my Time Machine as all the moving about meant that TM was unable to connect to the NAS until I reset the password.

2. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Very nice!

So not to waste a new thread maybe some AExp users might chime in here... Does anyone have any experience with 4 to 6 zone amps? I've been looking at a 12 channel (6 zone) amp on amazon for less than 500 that seems to be a good fit (for the non audiophile folks) also what kind of built-in speakers have you chosen? In Ceiling? In wall??

All I'm after is being able to play my lossless CD rips (in iTunes) to any single or multiple zone speakers... Understanding that to send to more than 1 AExp I'd have to do it from my desktop... Since to date Apple doesn't provide such controls in any of their iDevices.