Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I am new to MACs (the MBA will be my first) and I was wondering if it was possible to stream video from my new MBA (OS X) through iTunes via airplay to an Apple TV and what I would need to do this.

When I search all i find is how you will be able to stream through iOS 4.2 and there is not much on OS X.

Thanks in advance!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
all you have to do is connect your atv to your Mac and it streams right from the mac's itune library. That's what I did with Atv and my Macpro.
What is airplay?

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Airplay will allow you to stream directly to the apple TV from mac, ipad, etc, directly. Similar to the remote app, but with movies, etc ON your device.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Right well I was just asking everyone how well it worked with their new MBA? What kind of resolution does it stream in? Is any video quality lost?

So you can just access any movie file from your itunes and play it on your apple tv. Does it slow down yous MB Air? Non-DRM content works? Can you control it from your MB Air? Anyone with a general consensus with this set up?

Again I am the definition of newbie when it comes to MAC/Itunes. Also, I cannot access the the itunes/airplay website from work. It is blocked!

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Interesting.
But I'm still confused how airplay is any different than the system already in place. You stream intunes library to an atv. I have been doing that for years using the small airport when it was called airtunes. It just looks like they will be incorporating tech into actual components that can receive the stream without the airport device.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
Interesting.
But I'm still confused how airplay is any different than the system already in place. You stream intunes library to an atv. I have been doing that for years using the small airport when it was called airtunes. It just looks like they will be incorporating tech into actual components that can receive the stream without the airport device.

That is how it is at the moment, however in the very near future it will involve video as well. Airplay is now going to be applied in all sorts of hifi equipment, and so on... So you can stream direct to your hi-fi.

RanEnRui

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
Interesting.

Yes, that is the concept I believe. AirPlay is to be a standard that non-iTunes devices can use so other companies can make products like an iHome dock that lets you stream music/video to it (ATV2).

One reason I prefer AirPlay to the ATV's library method is Home Sharing. I don't mind using Home Sharing for all of my personal computers but I think it's very VERY silly that you have to give your Home Share account info to a visiting friend so they can use their Remote app on your ATV2. :rolleyes:

When I was purchasing my new MBA I was debating 128 or 256 GB. Seeing how I hardly used more than 70 GB on my Rev B, I saved myself $300 and went with the 128 model. All of my music and videos reside on a Time Capsule share so that takes all of that required space out of the equation.

I don't believe in "the cloud" just yet, but I sure do love a good NAS. It's fairly easy to access your TC from the internet as well so I can have access to my tunes on the go. If I really need them for a time with no internet access (airplane, etc), then I can just copy a good 30 GB of them temporarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.