Airplay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iStudentUK, Sep 13, 2010.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm slightly confused about Airplay, and I've tried searching before anyone goes crazy!

I can't find a definitive answer as to whether iOS 4.2 will allow audio streaming direct to Airplay enabled speakers (ie without going via iTunes on a Mac/PC like it is at the moment). There seems to be lots of disagreement, or do we just not know yet?

I've got some Altec Lansing speakers which I love and I'd want to have music playing with my iPhone still at my desk (I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before Airplay adapters start coming out), but I don't want to keep my MacBook on all the time.

Any insights?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My insight.

Since your allowed to stream Movies and Photos directly to the New Apple TV without iTunes being the middle man, I am going to guess that you are going to be allowed to stream music directly as well.

The way Apple is promoting the new Apple TV with no physical storage, is everything is being streamed directly without a computer or iTunes required.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The answers is yes, you can stream your music directly to your speaker if the speaker support it.

My guess is your current speakers won't be update it to support it, manufacture are on the work to push you to "buy" the new generation (after all it is a business).

4. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well I'm glad it will be direct, always thought the iDevice -> iTunes -> Airport Express -> Speaker was very convoluted.

I'm sure there won't be any backwards compatibility at first, but give it six months and someone will cash in on the adapter opportunity! (cf the petrol station phenomenon)

Hopefully anyway, I'm not replacing my speakers until they break!

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Accidents happen you know, I got a set too and they will have an accident about a week after 4.2 is Jailbroken :eek::eek:

6. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Now you mention it I think the perfect place for my speakers is next to the kitchen sink... yes... that'll do.

7. iPhisch macrumors 6502

pick up a used g-band Airport Express on ebay on the cheaps, and plug it in by your speakers.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107