airplay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nunes013, Nov 21, 2010.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so i have a 2.1 creative speakers hooked up in my room to my airport express. i plan on getting the apple tv next month to hook up to my LG 32" HDTV. is there anyway to stream the video from my laptop to the apple tv and the audio to the airport express. im wondering because the speakers only have rca and not optical audio and i wanted the movies to use the speaker system instead of the tvs speakers. has anyone else tried this yet or know a way around it?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this, but I think you would have to send the video and the audio to the Apple TV, but then the Apple TV would send the Audio to your Speakers that are hooked up to your Airport Express under Settings > AirPlay > Speakers (on your Apple TV)

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

thats good if its true, i just didnt want to have to buy an optical to rca adaptor because they are kind of expensive.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That feature is there, but I don't have an Airport Express to test it out, so I can't confirm this.

5. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

its all good, thanks for letting me know the feature is there!

6. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

so i have my apple tv now and under settings/ airplay it doesnt have speakers. i am on 4.2. does anyone know how to get the audio to play through the airport express?

7. Mawal macrumors regular

you need to set up the airport express first....having done that play any song on your Iphone and choose the distant speakers...works like a charm on Ipad and Iphone...