Airplay2 duplicate audio from receiver to HomePod

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
I haven't been able to track down an answer to this question. Does anyone know if it's now possible to have a movie playing on my AppleTV hooked up to my A/V receiver AND using Airplay2 send the same sound to a HomePod speaker or other Airplay2 compatible speaker?

SHAL0MINTHEH0ME

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
I haven't been able to track down an answer to this question. Does anyone know if it's now possible to have a movie playing on my AppleTV hooked up to my A/V receiver AND using Airplay2 send the same sound to a HomePod speaker or other Airplay2 compatible speaker?
Technically, yes. You can have both the ATV HDMI output and an Airplay 2 output at the same time. I have been testing this the last few days, but my setup is a bit different as I don't use an AVR. My two channel amp is connected off the TV, not directly from the ATV HDMI.

So yes, it works and I do not have sound sync issues. I would suggest you find a way to test though, as from what I understand there may be sound sync issues with an AVR between the ATV and TV.

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Technically, yes. You can have both the ATV HDMI output and an Airplay 2 output at the same time. I have been testing this the last few days, but my setup is a bit different as I don't use an AVR. My two channel amp is connected off the TV, not directly from the ATV HDMI.

So yes, it works and I do not have sound sync issues. I would suggest you find a way to test though, as from what I understand there may be sound sync issues with an AVR between the ATV and TV.
Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately I only have one AppleTV 4 and no Airplay 2 speakers to test this on. If this is possible with a HomePod I would be pushed towards buying one.

SHAL0MINTHEH0ME

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately I only have one AppleTV 4 and no Airplay 2 speakers to test this on. If this is possible with a HomePod I would be pushed towards buying one.
My test results were with a HomePod, if that helps further. Also, to clarify when I say there may be sync or delays using an AVR I mean with both the AVR and an AirPlay 2 speaker at the same time. That may have been obvious but I thought I’d clarify. This is also anecdotal, so it may work just fine.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Everything physically connected to the Apple TV will be in perfect sync with AirPlay 2 devices.

Built-in speakers and soundbar of my tv go in perfect sync with a pair of HomePods.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
What is the application here, putting it in the bathroom or kitchen for when you’re not in the living room? I presume not putting it in the living room with the speakers in there to play at the same time, as that’s surely a case of less is more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.