iPad Airplaying xbmc video to AppleTV

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by guitarmandp, Mar 18, 2013.

1. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Is this possible to watch xbmc on an appletv 3 airplaying xbmc from my iPad?

I installed the xbmc app in Cydia on my iPad, when I AirPlay it, I get audio but no video. I don't want to do mirroring as I always have better results with AirPlay.

2. Lend27 macrumors member

3. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Airplay mirror it from iOS, then within XBMC go to System Settings - Video - Select Full Screen #2 (something like that, forget the path specifically but change to Full Screen #2 for sure), your AppleTV will be airplayed Full Screen and your pad will turn into an XBMC remote.

Enjoy.

4. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

So I select "mirror" instead of "Airplay"

5. ahhboi macrumors regular

Wow, I can do this?

Now I can get myself an apple TV3 and have a use for my old ipad2! :eek:

6. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

So what is the point in jailbreaking an AppleTV if you can just airplay XBMC

There's gotta be some sort of quality loss because I notice zero quality loss when I AirPlay but I notice buffering issues and qualiy loss when I do the mirroring

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

There IS quality loss because XBMC doesn't use native ATV decoding / playback. In this regard, using XBMC over AirPlay is NOT recommended if you want absolutely the best quality.

See my just-published article, where I've even shown screenshots of this, along with providing tons of tips & tricks: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1559304.

8. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

I had to return the HDMI to Lightning adapter. It was displaying my iPad XBMC in 4:3 when it should have been 16:9

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Are you sure

1, you did change the monitor to #2 as is explained in my tutorial?

2, you used the new 12-series? (In earlier ones there isn't even a way of switching to the external monitor)

10. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

This was a few weeks ago and I wasted 3 bucks on that stupid displayout app thinking that this would solve my problem.

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Basically, with screen mirroring-enabled devices (anything with A5 or better), unless you want to mirro the screen over the component / composite cable for mirroring OR want to show where the taps are, you don't need DisplayOut.

Incidentally, even A4-based devices (e.g., the iPad1) can be hacked to enable mirroring over HDMI / VGA cables as if they were iPad2+'s. See my remark at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17010391&postcount=430 if interested in how it's done (or, for that matter, how one can disable mirroring on an iPad 3).

12. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up just giving up and buying an AppleTV 2 and jailbreaking it.

I have a jailbroken Apple TV 2 but what I want to do is when I'm out of town or lets say I'm staying at my parents house 2,000 miles away. They don't have an AppleTV so I was wondering if I can get the same quality I get on a jailbroken AppleTV 2 running XBMC by using the HDMI output on an iPad mini or my iPad 4

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

AFAIK, while it can decode 1080p content, the ATV2 can't physically output 1080p over HDMI, only 720p.

This means the Lightning connector is better, resolution-wise.

HOWEVER, if I were you, I'd stay away from using XBMC for hi-res playback. As I've also emphasized in my latest article, XBMC delivers worse performance than truly hardware players if and only if you plan to play back iOS-native files (mov / m4v / mp4). This would produce by far better quality than XBMC over the Lightning adapter as XBMC doesn't drive the adapter in native mode, resulting in sub-par resolution (900p as opposed to 1080p) and, with 30+ fps footage, framerate. (It's, however, still better than that of the ATV2 (720p).)

14. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

I use stream2me to AirPlay mkv files for watching Hulu through xbmx is the lightning to hdmi connector better than airplay

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It should be if you're don't using Apple TV-based decompression.

16. guitarmandp thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't the ideal way to watch XBMC is to have it the app on your jailbroken AppleTV?