AirPod 2 Battery

Grettman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I got the AirPods yesterday. Never owned a pair before. After an hour listening time at roughly half vol, my battery is down to 85 percent. At this rate I won’t get the 5 hrs advertised. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

stanft

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
I got the AirPods yesterday. Never owned a pair before. After an hour listening time at roughly half vol, my battery is down to 85 percent. At this rate I won’t get the 5 hrs advertised. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?
You're right ... at this rate you will get more than the advertised 5 hours ;-)

1 hour = 15% results to 6,66... hours

Regards,
Stephan

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Grettman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
S
You're right ... at this rate you will get more than the advertised 5 hours ;-)

1 hour = 15% results to 6,66... hours

Regards,
Stephan
Doh! Thanks. What had me concerned was seeing that much of a drop so fast. For instance, after a full charge it went from 100 percent to 95 after 5 mins. Just wondering if this is normal. I will do a full test over the next few days but wanted to know others experiences.

Whoakapi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
These are the test conditions for the 5-hour claim:

1. Testing conducted by Apple in February 2019 using preproduction AirPods (2nd generation), Charging Case, and Wireless Charging Case units and software paired with iPhone Xs Max units and prerelease software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback. Battery life depends on device settings, environment, usage, and many other factors.

I don't know what "...many other factors." mean...

I think that one factor also impacting battery life is that you need to keep the connected device very close to the AirPods for the least battery consumption.

Last edited: