Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
When I use my airpods with a cellular voice call the battery drains twice as fast as when I am listening to music. Is this normal? I have had reset my airpods and they still have the same behavior. I am only getting 1.5 hours using them on a phone call but 4+ hours when listening to music.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
When I use my airpods with a cellular voice call the battery drains twice as fast as when I am listening to music. Is this normal? I have had reset my airpods and they still have the same behavior. I am only getting 1.5 hours using them on a phone call but 4+ hours when listening to music.

When you're listening to music the microphone is not active on the airpods maybe that's why there is a difference in battery? not sure if 2X faster drain makes sense though.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Talk time is less than half that of music listening time. Probably due to the two-way nature (earphone and microphone active simultaneously), and transmitting takes a lot more power than receiving.

From Apple's web site:

AirPods with Charging Case: More than 24 hours listening time,(3) up to 11 hours talk time(6)

AirPods (single charge): Up to 5 hours listening time,(2) Up to 2 hours talk time(5)

15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time(4) or over an hour of talk time(7)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.