Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
This changes everything - again!

Airpods - ”designed” by Apple in California (to be inclusive for people with average size ears only) and made remotely usable by adventurous clients!

Airpods are part of Apples new line of products ”designed” to activate fine-motor skills and problem-solving thinking.

30 minutes with a Dremel. Not the safest of mods to be sure, but the only thing that does not work it the case thinks it’s open all the time.

, Staffan

Attachments

• D10EFA09-7222-41B7-817A-002A74F5FB17.jpeg
    D10EFA09-7222-41B7-817A-002A74F5FB17.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 2,583
Reactions: chowly and absprb

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Great idea! It now suits your needs. I would keep an eye on your battery as you may run into some battery loss/ usage as now the charging case (thinking its open) will be constantly searching for nearby devices to pair with. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207012 indicates that: Repeatedly opening and closing the charging case can reduce the battery charge of the case.

Reactions: chowly and Arran

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Great idea! It now suits your needs. I would keep an eye on your battery as you may run into some battery loss/ usage as now the charging case (thinking its open) will be constantly searching for nearby devices to pair with. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207012 indicates that: Repeatedly opening and closing the charging case can reduce the battery charge of the case.
[doublepost=1529135496][/doublepost]Good point!

Enhanced version with a hot-glued magnet :)

Attachments

• 713CFAF4-30F1-49DA-BBDB-6F70051690E1.jpeg
    713CFAF4-30F1-49DA-BBDB-6F70051690E1.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 784
Reactions: Arran

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Airpods - ”designed” by Apple in California (to be inclusive for people with average size ears only) and made remotely usable by adventurous clients!

Airpods are part of Apples new line of products ”designed” to activate fine-motor skills and problem-solving thinking.

30 minutes with a Dremel. Not the safest of mods to be sure, but the only thing that does not work it the case thinks it’s open all the time.

, Staffan

That’s a horrible idea. Not just because the fact that you’re destroying the battery lid, but the fact that now it completely voids the warranty if something goes wrong, Apple is not going to acknowledge or replace anything specific to that battery case because of the alteration. I Understand the inconvenience of having to remove the silicone tips each and every time you want to put away the AirPods to charge, but I wouldn’t chance trying to take a Dremel tool to alter the lid just for the sake of convenience, but its your property.

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Warrantees for unsable products hold very little value to me. Better to have void-of-warranty earphones that I can actually use, me thinks

That’s a horrible idea. Not just because the fact that you’re destroying the battery lid, but the fact that now it completely voids the warranty if something goes wrong, Apple is not going to acknowledge or replace anything specific to that battery case because of the alteration. I Understand the inconvenience of having to remove the silicone tips each and every time you want to put away the AirPods to charge, but I wouldn’t chance trying to take a Dremel tool to alter the lid just for the sake of convenience, but its your property.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Charging with eartips has been a problem many have struggled with. Yours is a very creative solution. Bold move. Bravo!

Now, I’m sure Apple’s designers could’ve done this somewhat more elegantly. The big question is: Why the heck haven’t they? Apple used to be laser-focused on usability. What’s happened to them?

Reactions: chowly

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks :) (and yes - Apple engineers could have made a more classy solution :D which would have left the warranty alive also.

There is still one thing for me to figure out: I need to have a magnet activate/deactivate the mid-case sensor so the case it’s opened (and wakes up the earphones). It works without as well, but then the case&earphone are bluetooth-visible all the time which isn’t ver convienient

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Thanks :) (and yes - Apple engineers could have made a more classy solution :D which would have left the warranty alive also.

There is still one thing for me to figure out: I need to have a magnet activate/deactivate the mid-case sensor so the case it’s opened (and wakes up the earphones). It works without as well, but then the case&earphone are bluetooth-visible all the time which isn’t ver convienient
It would be easier if the sensor was on the hinge side, wouldn’t it?

But back to your original problem.....

Apple could offer an alternative case with a roomier (extended) lid that’s completely removable. Probably an extra quarter inch in height would do it?

Then use stronger magnets so it snaps on and stays in place.

(Apple, if you’re listening, you can use that idea)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
^ Apple Employees are prohibited from frequenting websites like this. I guarantee they will not know of this individual’s idea on a Macrumors thread. Even if they did or became of aware of this, the AirPod battery case will never resemble anything like this in the future. And I’m not trying to be negative (Maybe Being a cynic), but this is Apple we are talking about, they don’t make compromises for their products just because of what somebody else wants to use a third-party accessory for that earbuds. That’s how this company has always been. It Really shouldn’t be that surprising.

I think the other thing to consider, is with the open lid design at the OP did, is you allow outside elements now to get inside, where the lid secures the internals away from water or moisture, now that something that has to be considered that could affect the battery case if that were to happen.

As for the warranty, again, that’s completely subjective and up to the owner. Apple designed the AirPods to be specific OEM and they didn’t take (Or have to) in account of third-party accessories to be built around the AirPods. The AirPods are built exactly the Way they should be. Also willing to believe the majority of AirPod users do not consider using silicone tips.

But I do give the OP credit for ingenuity, as I’m sure nobody would chance this.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Cool idea, but you are taking power tools and heat to a device that is full of batteries. I don't really think this should be duplicated lol.
[doublepost=1529165868][/doublepost]
^ Apple Employees are prohibited from frequenting websites like this.

Heh. Apple is all over this site. I promise you that.

Reactions: chowly

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
To be sure, it’s not necessarilly a case I would dare leave charging without over-sight

Being of the big-ear sub-species myself, my first experience of the airpods were that the sound was dreadful. Silicone tips made it much better (the foam-cover ”mod” is still maybe the best in my opinion - easy to do, fits in the case and has a surprisingly big impact on sound quality. To me, the case-mode become more of a challenge - a proof of concept - than anything else.

I have an additional pair if airpods and other earphones as well, so to me the warranty is not a game-stopper, even if these are now a potential short-circuit risk. Latest and ugliest has a hot glued magnet in the case-cover. The case now knows when it is being opened.

I now this could/should be safer and less ugly - but I have proven it to work - challenge handled

Attachments

• ECB66A12-0A47-4A29-A171-FE9DEC74C1BC.jpeg
    ECB66A12-0A47-4A29-A171-FE9DEC74C1BC.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 707

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
My final iteration. A small (3mm diameter x 8mm length) magnetic rod hot-glued to the cover-portion of the case. The case now knows when it is open or close and closes easily.

Works like a charm! However I take no responsibility for any damage anyone else might be caused by - in a fit of lunacy - trying the same mod :D

Attachments

• 1F319BE1-62CD-434C-946F-64A857A1BCE3.jpeg
    1F319BE1-62CD-434C-946F-64A857A1BCE3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 821
  • 6FB4D28C-E7C7-4904-BADA-6AC4F622FE81.jpeg
    6FB4D28C-E7C7-4904-BADA-6AC4F622FE81.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,038

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
My final iteration. A small (3mm diameter x 8mm length) magnetic rod hot-glued to the cover-portion of the case. The case now knows when it is open or close and closes easily.

Works like a charm! However I take no responsibility for any damage anyone else might be caused by - in a fit of lunacy - trying the same mod :D
Nicely done!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Awesome, I love a good DIY (I semi-recently busted out the Dremel for a car mod ... :D)

Which ear adapters are those? I very occasionally use some EarPods, I shopped a few, most kind kind of mediocre reviews, but my ears aren't "compatible" with EarPods.
[doublepost=1531254202][/doublepost]
Warrantees for unsable products hold very little value to me. Better to have void-of-warranty earphones that I can actually use, me thinks

Right? I've done a few refurbs on Oakley X-Metals, one of the processes requires removing two rivets, people kind of fear doing this, but what's the worst case? Less functional, already non-functional sunglasses? :D

Staba-san

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I use thes covers (EarBuddyz Earpod covers). Without any augmentation, the Airpods fall right out of my ears. The foam-cover-”hack” works for a little while but walking with the Airpods is not possible with that hack for me, so this was the only way I could figure out how to make these earphones usable to me.

, S

22CC04E9-B941-4FA6-AA18-5B41DCBDCF54.jpeg

Reactions: D.T.

chowly

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
This is exactly what I was looking for! I was about to do this mod myself with no knowledge of what was hidden in the lid, so thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you that the Airpods are basically unusable given the size of my ear-holes -- but thankfully I found those same silicone covers on Amazon and they make the Airpods perfect! My only hang-up was not being able to fit them in the charge case.

If you were to do it again, do you think it would be possible to cut around the existing magnet placed in the lid by Apple or is it necessary to go the route you took with glueing in an aftermarket magnet?

Thanks again for sharing!
[doublepost=1542388204][/doublepost]

When I pay for something, it is mine to do what I wish with. One size does not fit all, quite literally with this design for Airpods that assumes every human has the same sized ears. Thinkers, tinkerers, and curious people should never be held back from trying to improve a tool or system. Innovation and new technologies should always be encouraged!

**Not to mention Apple's product warranty policies tend to be useless

Shawn9987

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2016
This is exactly what I was looking for! I was about to do this mod myself with no knowledge of what was hidden in the lid, so thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you that the Airpods are basically unusable given the size of my ear-holes -- but thankfully I found those same silicone covers on Amazon and they make the Airpods perfect! My only hang-up was not being able to fit them in the charge case.

If you were to do it again, do you think it would be possible to cut around the existing magnet placed in the lid by Apple or is it necessary to go the route you took with glueing in an aftermarket magnet?

Thanks again for sharing!
[doublepost=1542388204][/doublepost]

When I pay for something, it is mine to do what I wish with. One size does not fit all, quite literally with this design for Airpods that assumes every human has the same sized ears. Thinkers, tinkerers, and curious people should never be held back from trying to improve a tool or system. Innovation and new technologies should always be encouraged!

**Not to mention Apple's product warranty policies tend to be useless

After not being on this site for long time I was browsing and had log in for this. Your version of useless is your own opinion. I’ve had several things with and without Apple care that have been replaced promptly and respectfully and reasonable time by Apple. Don’t break your stuff outside of what the warranty protects and you won’t have a problem.

FYI this reply has nothing do with this thread just the apples warranty policies are useless. Op you have right do what u want you paid for your stuff but I would seriously suggest people not do this UNLESS you know what your doing. Regardless of opinion your messing with batteries and wires.

dyucht97

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2018
Fantastic mod!
not having room for the earHooks in the charging case is exactly why I've balked and buying the airpods.

As "Chowdy" said in reply #17:
If you were to do it again, do you think it would be possible to cut around the existing magnet placed in the lid by Apple or is it necessary to go the route you took with gluing in an aftermarket magnet?

scott721

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010

, Staffan
Thanks for an excellent mod. I concur with others who have stated that the warranty issue is your own business. If someone thinks a mod is useless they have the option of simply not doing it. There is no need to criticize others' ideas.

With that said I have a question regarding the actual modification. I use the same EarBuddyz EarHooks and am unable to charge them, even with the lid open, because with the covers on the contact tips do not reach the charging contacts at the bottom of each of the AirPod slots in the case. My thought was to "file" down the edges of the tops of the case where the AirPods sit so that they could slip a bit further down and thus reach the contact points at the bottom of the case.

Is this something that you did in your modification but didn't describe? If not, I don't see how the AirPods could be charging with the EarBuddyz on despite the modifications to the lid.

Can you clarify? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.