Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
ANC seems slightly better. Bass appears the same
No additional changes for me that I can tell.

But is it like the same when it was launched last year where people were absolutely raving about the ANC then ? Has it become that good again ?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Seeing a lot of ‘seems’ in this thread and not a lot of ‘is’. This is what happens when Apple doesn’t release patch notes, placebos.

• Haha
Reactions: steve62388

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
here is my completely unofficial subjective take on the update. anc doesn't work as well for me, when working out I hear the machinery more noticeably (home gym eqpt). Nothing offensive but I couldn't hear my spin bike with music going, but now I do slightly. Sound quality, listening to very familiar playlist....mid bass is less pronounced. At first I thought they sounded thin but low bass still excellent and cleaner, but mid bass not nearly as muddy. I felt they were a bit distorted in mid/low bass prior, so I find the new sound more balanced. These are on alternative rock songs I work out to regularly and there were certain bass sections that clipped before and sounded clean tonight.

ymmv,

Mark

stabgotham

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2020
ANC seems noticeably worse for me....or maybe better. Today I had it turned on while working and listening to Spotify. My two kids were upstairs playing and I could hear them clear as day. The point of having ANC turned on was to block them out so that I could work, but it did block everything around me, but not their voices.

While it defeated the purpose of my intent, its probably good that it didn't block them out since they are still little and I could still hear them in the event of something happened.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
ANC seems noticeably worse for me....or maybe better. Today I had it turned on while working and listening to Spotify. My two kids were upstairs playing and I could hear them clear as day. The point of having ANC turned on was to block them out so that I could work, but it did block everything around me, but not their voices.

While it defeated the purpose of my intent, its probably good that it didn't block them out since they are still little and I could still hear them in the event of something happened.
Are you saying in the same scenario, you couldn’t hear their voices on prior firmwares?

Voices are usually the weakness of NC, though I’ve found recent APP firmwares have improved its impact on them.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019

Over-the-ear headphones isolate the human voices better but even then that would be more from the ear cups than the NC tech. The ANC is meant for consistent noises and not intermittent ones. There should be enough time to analyze the noise frequency and generate the opposite signal which doesn’t work with the vocal frequencies that change constantly.
By your own admission it’s blocking out the noises around you well so it’s doing it’s job.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I can confirm that newest update increased my battery life by 20%, increased ANC levels so high that the world around me is nearly muted and it feels like I'm in a bubble and has increased my IQ by 30%!

I'm joking of course!

I don't know what has changed!

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Mine updated to the new firmware recently, but I don't notice anything different. Pretty excited for spatial audio, though!

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I checked my AirPods Pro and they had updated, will check how much of a difference the update has done on mid-range run tomorrow.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Damn they seem to have updated today and I can definitely hear more car noise on the busy street I take every day. I thought ANC was off at first

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Damn they seem to have updated today and I can definitely hear more car noise on the busy street I take every day. I thought ANC was off at first
That’s not normal. NC didn’t change for the vast majority of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.