AirPod newbie with question about charging

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Got my Airpods today (SO excited)!!

When I paired them, it shows the charge level for the pods, and then for the case. So my question is, if the case is fully charged, does it charge the Airpods without being plugged in? Will it fully charge them, and, if so, how many charges would I get from a fully charged case?

Oh, and another question - about how far can I get away from my phone and still hear my music (if I’m not wearing my watch)?

Seriously though - these things are SO awesome!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
The Airpods will be charged by the case only when they are inside the case. You will get quite a few charges out of a fully charged case, I can’t be exact but it’s at around 5-7 full charges. I can wear my Airpods anywhere in my house no matter where the phone is no issues.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
The case will charge itself and the pods while connected, and will charge the pods as long as they need a charge OR until it runs dry.

I've gotten 30-40 feet - with a walk in cooler in between - from my phone before it started to act up.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I wore them for about 4-5 hours yesterday afternoon inside the house. I left the phone in the kitchen and went in my room to fold and hang clothes, and had no issues at all, so I’m assuming I’ll at least be able to go all over my house, which is awesome.

I exercised, did laundry, cooked, etc. I absolutely love them! I can’t believe I’ve been holding off for such a long time.

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I wore them for about 4-5 hours yesterday afternoon inside the house. I left the phone in the kitchen and went in my room to fold and hang clothes, and had no issues at all, so I’m assuming I’ll at least be able to go all over my house, which is awesome.

I exercised, did laundry, cooked, etc. I absolutely love them! I can’t believe I’ve been holding off for such a long time.
They are a revelation. I wear them mowing the lawn - just today, I had a phone conference (I was muted) & could hear it whilst mowing.

The key is the fit - many who complain don’t have a secure enough fit, so the sound escapes, giving them the impression that they’re a poor product.

My distance record is ~26m.

Reactions: ssledoux