Airpod Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by QuietFun, Feb 20, 2017.

1. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

Haven't seen any picture threads. Might be good for people anxiously awaiting their orders to process or ship! Post photos of your Airpods. Also, I am interested in seeing them "in the wild", as in, how you use them throughout an average day. What have you found to be the best way to carry them and to keep the case charged?

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

3. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

Any real world stories on usage? Not battery life and quality, but more of preferred usage and carry methods.

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I use mine in the office and while I walk for exercise. At work its a 50/50 when people see them, some like them, some make fun of me. Think they look like ear rings. They are very comfortable and sound great. With them in on standby you can talk and hear fine, they do not block external sound. I carry the case in my backpack. I've charged the case about once per week. When I drive home I put the pods in the case. They charge by the time I get home. 25 min or so. I really like not having to mess with chords.

5. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

Wow, so they are able to last a week with moderate use? That's good news. With all of the things that need to be charged in my life I'm trying to figure that one out before they come in. I was always taught to "have a home" before you get something new hahaha.

6. Ad13 macrumors regular

On first use I thought they were amazing - sounds with no wires! It's was like having a mental illness hearing voices in your head.

After the novelty wore off I have a very different view. They're buggy as hell. They drop connection constantly. They don't sound that great and they let way too much backgrounds sound to be used in the gym or on a plane. They're uncomfortable after a while.

I have had them replaced three times. Same problems every time. I have a support ticket live at the moment but nothing back as yet. Check some of the other threads reporting the sales issues.

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I generally bring my AirPods to the office each day. I generally put them in my laptop bag which I take home with me every night in case I need to work remotely. I've had a few co-workers poke fun at the design, but most are really intrigued by them and ask how I like them. I can say they are very comfortable in my ear. I don't have them in my ear for 8 straight hours since I have meetings and such, but for the longer periods I use them, they still feel comfortable. Plus, they sound is very nice too (bit of an improvement over the EarPods).

Most importantly, I can move freely around my cubicle without having to worry about a cord pulling my iPhone to the ground.

8. toph2toast macrumors 6502

I can agree with Zazok that you can easily go a week without charging the case. I use them off and on at work, then during my workouts (between 30-40 minutes ~5x a week) and charge them only on the weekend. While these aren't the best for airplanes, I'm not surprised either because the standard earpods suck on flights too. If your expectation is that these will perform (in your ear) as well as the earpods, then you will not be disappointed. For me, this is one of the best products Apple has released in a while.

9. Bromeo, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

Bromeo macrumors regular

Really like mine. They're with me all the time - the charging case is tucked into my "watch pocket" on my jeans, or in the small velcro pocket on my cargo shorts. I charge the case about once a week, and it seems to hold charge fine even if I don't use the AirPods for a day or two.

I can tell you it's incredibly liberating to have such convenient personal audio with me at all times. The AirPods are quick to deploy and quick to put back. I can take a call and seamlessly transition to the AirPods for comfort. If I come across a YouTube video as part of an article I'm reading, I can listen to the audio portion without disturbing others around me. The AirPods have encouraged me to listen to more music, podcasts, and embedded videos.

Audio fidelity for music exceeded my expectations. I listen primarily to Apple Music which I suspect may have a "home team advantage" with the AirPods, especially if the AirPods are directly decoding the AAC files. Sound is incrementally better than the wired EarPods and highly detailed. Although some users may complain about lack of bass, I'd describe the bass as present but not exaggerated as with some other brands. They do extend down to about 24 Hz in my testing. If anything, it's amazes me an open outside-canal design can even get as much bass as the AirPods manage; that said if you're a bass hound, you may be happier with something else. Stereo separation is immaculate.

Call quality is above average, especially FaceTime Audio calls, but nowhere as wonderful as music. Callers say my voice is clearer and closer sounding on the AirPods than my wired EarPods. Due to shorter battery life (about half) on calls, for extended conversations I'll start alternating AirPods after the first low battery chime. This allows me to continue on with very long conference calls without interruption.

Pausing music by removing one AirPod is a brilliant feature and works reliably. Activating Siri with double-tap usually works, but sometimes doesn't (or my phone will show Siri as listening, but not hearing me). When Siri works, it's very quick to respond via AirPods: "Skip back 20 seconds" or "Quieter" ... etc. I also use my Apple Watch to control music while out and about.

While they've not fallen out of my ears, I have learned to be careful handling the AirPods, and to wipe the earbud portion on my shirt before putting away (keeps the oils in check). I've dropped them three times now, and they are no worse of the wear - not even a scuff on them.

I'm getting used to the look. I think it's not the slightly bulkier stems, but the fact there are no wires. I've gotten a few quizzical looks at the gym, but I don't care. People wear full-on cans, which looks ridiculous in its own way. The white color is easy to find (unless lost in the folds of sheets), but I'd like to see a Jet Black or Matte Black choice.

PS - Selfie photos of wearing AirPods exaggerate and distort proportions making them look much larger than they appear from normal distances. Best to look at Apple's promotional photos for a better idea of scale from normal viewing distances.

Them's my thoughts.

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Yeah some people don't realize that it is not only the chords when you wear them but the cords when you pack them away. My headphones were always a tangled mess. Now with the charging case you put them away out of instinct because you need to charge them anyway.

I hope they make them in the future with a little bit better audio. The entire set up is just very good in general. As some people say it reminded me of Apple back in the day.

11. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

What a great detailed response. Yea the looks, I believe, are only bizarre because we have grown so accustomed to seeing wires. I look forward to receiving mine later today! I hope they improve the volume control and tap features just based on what I hear about it.