Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlosnunez.dfw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Okay I can definitely confirm that the issue is with the NC forward mic on the right AirPods Pro. With NC/transparency off, the headphones feel fine and sound okay. With it on, the sound feels unbalanced.

Reactions: jbryant705

jbryant705

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
Sorry to disappoint but no, they are not learning over time.

From the official marketing page - "AirPods Pro are the only in-ear headphones with Active Noise Cancellation that continuously adapts to the geometry of your ear and the fit of the ear tips — blocking out the world so you can focus on what you’re listening to."

This is what I was referring to.

morsecp

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Vermont, USA
From the official marketing page - "AirPods Pro are the only in-ear headphones with Active Noise Cancellation that continuously adapts to the geometry of your ear and the fit of the ear tips — blocking out the world so you can focus on what you’re listening to."

This is what I was referring to.
That's referring to the constant adjustment that happens hundreds of times per second. It is not a change in behavior over time that would result in the AirPods learning the structure of your ear. The AirPods do not have a memory that learns over time. They are designed to function at peak performance out of the box and do not need to be trained on your ear.

Bullyterrier

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
That statement from Apple infers the adaption takes into account the fit test results (as it should) - with the fit test issues that explains a lot re the widely varying perceptions of sound (especially bass) quality.

Drugmx

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Hi guys, here's another one in the club.
I'll telly ou my story with APP. I bought them on second day when they were released. 2 weeks were fine and fit test lassed with small and medium all the time. Then those problems occur:

1. I have noticed a distortion sound in right earbud in handsfree mode, i talk a lot on meeting while connected to laptop. And when the voice high volume- you hear bzzzz in right earbud. But the music is playing just fine without that sound. Only handsfree mode does like that.
2. Right earbud became less bassy, low freq on Gessafelstein - Pursuit became far less on right earbud in comparison to left one.
3. And of course that bloody fit test always fails with any eartips on right earbud right now.

i do not have Apple store in my country unfortunately so i am waiting for my business trip to go there.
When i talked and sent for warranty in my city - of course they said - apple tests run - no issues found. Bye bye. I bet they will exchange only when some earbud completely dies.

btw, new firmware released 2C54. I thinkNC works better now.

i am upset.

.Kevin.

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Bought these eBay tips with memory foam and they finally stay in my ear much better however it now fails both fit tests lol. Where as the Apple one only fails my right ear which ironically is the one that keeps falling out with all three tips.

Being a mutant is challenging lol. Chances are I’ll end up with ear buds with a flange thing and give these to my wife or daughter.
I tried the eBay foam, still falls out, still fails the fit test. I “added” a vent to the foam tips, that didn’t fix anything except I can push them in deeper but now my ears are sore.

getting close to an Apple store this weekend. Will try for an appointment.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Welp my right earbud is now no longer passing the test. Thinking I might try and return them depending on if they'll take them back.

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Same issue had the right ear saying no seal even when I can tell their is a seal...... One thing that is an issue to me is that internal mic if something is wrong is handling the Adaptive EQ. If that is off then the left and right are off which is why I started noticing an issue and went to the fit test. I also get crazy amount of bone conduction sound on my right and barely any on the left so something is up.

I have a replacement right APP earbud coming today, so I will try the new one out and see if it works.

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
For the first 3 weeks the seal on both ears were perfect. Until the left AirPod failed the test. A week later the right one failed too. I also experienced bone conduction as I could here my own heartbeat.

Got my replacements APP today and got a positive seal on both ears. Also no detectable heartbeat so better anti bone conduction.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
So me and a couple friends who have gotten some of these on release and I was told it was software initially, are now getting the runaround on repair replacement with them. Discovered this thread today about this issue. I'm just done, selling these off on line and walking. Not worth the headache of dealing with Apple's support after 4 hours of nonsense.

If anyone is still in the return period, just return and wait for gen 2. Too many growing pains with these.

Reactions: 0194839

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Just tried mine that fail on all three ear tip sizes on my girlfriend and she passed on all of them. Im starting to think it has something to do with ear shape perhaps.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I’ve got two other pairs of the pros and I pass on them. This pair I fail on. So I don’t think that’s it entirely.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Yep. I’ve listed them on FB marketplace and they will sell quickly. Already getting messaged about them. Just easier to sell them off as the only way the “bad pair” works is if you force them in uncomfortably. So if it’s a canal size thing, there is a bit of wiggle room in apples tolerances. And my tolerance for Apple issues is pretty low after 2019.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Yep. I’ve listed them on FB marketplace and they will sell quickly. Already getting messaged about them. Just easier to sell them off as the only way the “bad pair” works is if you force them in uncomfortably. So if it’s a canal size thing, there is a bit of wiggle room in apples tolerances. And my tolerance for Apple issues is pretty low after 2019.

I’ve got some comply tips that I’m going to try and mod and they’re going to replace the entire airpods tomorrow case and all and if they still end up like this then I’m gonna sell them and go back to regular airpods

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Same issue had the right ear saying no seal even when I can tell their is a seal...... One thing that is an issue to me is that internal mic if something is wrong is handling the Adaptive EQ. If that is off then the left and right are off which is why I started noticing an issue and went to the fit test. I also get crazy amount of bone conduction sound on my right and barely any on the left so something is up.

I have a replacement right APP earbud coming today, so I will try the new one out and see if it works.

Update:

So I got the earbud and the experience has been mixed..... So when I first got the replacement right earbud it had different firmware then my current ones, so blinky amber light. I had to try to get the new firmware on the new right airpod..... This was a major pain point and took hours to get it fixed.

If this happens to you, I fixed it by unpairing from my phone then I put both airpods in the case and hit the white button to pair, now this will take several tries due to the fact that they are on different firmwares, but after 7-8 tries it finally did pair and downloaded the firmware. Not sure if this is the right way to do this but it did work. I originally tried pairing just the new airpod put it solo in the case and charged it next to a charging iphone thinking it would download the firmware but after 2 hours nothing, so who knows, just something to be aware of.

Now as for the original problem the new airpod cleaned it all up. Fit test passing again, more bass, and bone conduction significantly reduced. My guess there is something up with the first batches of these things with the internal microphone and/or the internal seals that allow pressure to pass through the airpod. So we will see how long it lasts, my left has been fine this entire time which I have had since the release.

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
So me and a couple friends who have gotten some of these on release and I was told it was software initially, are now getting the runaround on repair replacement with them. Discovered this thread today about this issue. I'm just done, selling these off on line and walking. Not worth the headache of dealing with Apple's support after 4 hours of nonsense.

If anyone is still in the return period, just return and wait for gen 2. Too many growing pains with these.

I returned mine too today after 3 weeks of use. For 318 euros (353 dollar APP + AppleCare+) I expect a premium device with a near to flawless user experience, not this buggy ever changing product. I will too wait until gen 2 AirPods Pro will arrive. Got a full refund, also full refund on the AppleCare+. Glad this unpleasant adventure has come to an end.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I'm just curious how many have bought pairs and had them last a while w/out issue or the test still passes. I've seen some about their wife having a pair and still working but that doesn't indicate how much usage the spouse gave it...

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I'm just curious how many have bought pairs and had them last a while w/out issue or the test still passes. I've seen some about their wife having a pair and still working but that doesn't indicate how much usage the spouse gave it...

I am curious if it has to do with certain ear shapes. Because I tried the ones on my girlfriend that were failing me every time and they worked perfectly. Every ear tip passed.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'm considering returning mine. I only bought them because my Power Beats pro's took a dump a couple of weeks ago. They have since been repaired by Apple. While I've had no problem with mine so far I'm thinking I should wait until Gen 2. I don't want mine to start having problems after the return period. I've still been mostly using my Gen 2 airpods when not in the gym.

Reactions: BarrettF77

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I’ve had mine for a month using them daily. The left ear passes the fit test, the right ear fails every time. That being said, the sound and ANC work flawlessly. I too believe ear shape is a factor.

Reactions: BarrettF77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.