Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbryant705

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
Even if thats the case, my point still stands, as I'm pretty sure the vents are closed in "off" mode as well.
Although, since cleaning the grills seems to fix the issue for a lot of people I'd imagine it's not an issue with the vents not opening and closing properly. That could've been the issue, but since cleaning seems to be helping for me and many others I doubt that's the cause.

Last edited:

mppn

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Montreal, QC, Canada
Although, since cleaning the grills seems to fix the issue for a lot of people I'd imagine it's not an issue with the vents not opening and closing properly. That could've been the issue, but since cleaning seems to be helping for me and many others I doubt that's the cause.

If oils from our ears clog the grills, it might as well impact the valve performance

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
The only thing I’m thinking as I read these is does apple even test their product before releasing them? Seems like a 100 % failure rate. Which is really odd.

I keep reading hoping someone will say they have had a pair for some time and they still work flawlessly. Apple is so far from the quality company they changed to after Jobs took the helm again. Went from the mess Scully made to being mindful of the QC. WTH is Cook allowing to happen?

Reactions: Glideslope

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
So after weeks of problems and nearly get the AirPods Pro replaced i fixed them today. All the "sucking" and talk about the vents helped me a lot. I had a lot of problems with ANC not working on the left side and no bass or to much bass and so on. Today the left Pod sounded like there was no ANC at all and the right one got so sealed it hurt. I took a Qtip drenched in 100% Alcohol and rubbed it on the speaker-grills that face the inside of your ear until I could see that "black line" in them again.

do you mean the black lines of the grills?Have they changed their color due to the oil/dust/dirt in general?

so, just a Qtip, alcohol and rubbing? No “sucking”?

chepeloni

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2020
So after weeks of problems and nearly get the AirPods Pro replaced i fixed them today. All the "sucking" and talk about the vents helped me a lot. I had a lot of problems with ANC not working on the left side and no bass or to much bass and so on. Today the left Pod sounded like there was no ANC at all and the right one got so sealed it hurt. I took a Qtip drenched in 100% Alcohol and rubbed it on the speaker-grills that face the inside of your ear until I could see that "black line" in them again. I also treated all the speakers of the Pods the same way. May Pros are working now perfectly again. ANC is perfekt, bass is perfect.. crazy. This is a design flaw. I keep my ears very clean. I do not work out with them or anything. Now I really ask myself how often will I have to repeat this procedure? weekly? All of you with problems like that try it. It works. No new Pods will solve that problem because it will come back. Not good Apple.

What do you exactly mean by the “black line in them”?

I did this on everything black in my AirPods and didn’t help.... I might be doing something wrong

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
For whom are experiencing this problem: how deep do you push the buds inside the canal? The more they are inside the more war oil they catch.

the challenge is to find the right balance between The seal and how deep you push them.

I’ve never experienced that but I always used medium/large tips (less chances to go deep). Now I’m testing the small tips: they surely go deeper but improve greatly the anc and the music.

Will find in some days if they mess up the vents ?‍♂️

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
The only thing I’m thinking as I read these is does apple even test their product before releasing them? Seems like a 100 % failure rate. Which is really odd.

I keep reading hoping someone will say they have had a pair for some time and they still work flawlessly. Apple is so far from the quality company they changed to after Jobs took the helm again. Went from the mess Scully made to being mindful of the QC. WTH is Cook allowing to happen?
Where do you get 100%failure? Mine have worked flawlessly since launch day with all updates applied.

Reactions: shooter45acp

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Where do you get 100%failure? Mine have worked flawlessly since launch day with all updates applied.

Do yours still pass the seal test? I haven’t seen anyone indicate this and have you done anything special or just keep ears clean. Do you work out with them.

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI

Agreed mine works great also pasts the seal test also have done that a few times! No need to keep doing it as it works fine

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
Either way, how is Apple going to fix this. I’m sick of warranty replacements.

Apple is not going to address this particular design flaw. They will either say it’s normal that the vents get clogged or they’ll say you’re using it wrong.

I’m so glad I returned mine and got a full refund. Let’s see what the APP gen 2 will bring to the table.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I’ve returned a couple pair already. Deciding on my last pair now and about my 16” MacBook Pro for the popping sounds. They just have so many issues. Need to stop churning out hardware till they can fix the current. Otherwise what incentive is there when you look at the broken old stuff. Really makes ya want to keep buying their stuff doesn’t it.

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019

I agree. The premium feel Apple products used to give us is long gone. I think it happened when they started to gravitate their selling target towards the mass market. Average users probably don’t even notice or care about the clogged vents. Only today's tech-savvy consumers like me and some of you do.

Reactions: Glideslope

Grothesk

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
What do you exactly mean by the “black line in them”?

I did this on everything black in my AirPods and didn’t help.... I might be doing something wrong
if you look closely there is a fine black line behind the speaker grills. I couldn't see that anymore. after the treatment it was visible again. it held up. day two with perfect performance and even better ANC. Still a pain in the a**. How often will I have to repeat that?

tranqfx

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
atlanta
I bought the airpod pros the day they came out and had a perfect seal in each ear for a few months. Then I noticed the right ear was not isolating noise quite as well as the left. The seal didn't change in my ear, I'm pretty positive what is happening for some is one of the microphones fails and therefore it can't recognize a good seal anymore and looses some noise isolation quality. I went to apple. They had me put in a new earplug and instantly showed a seal again and there was a noticeable improvement in the isolation. I suspect the microphones might be the issues for some of you(us).

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
if you look closely there is a fine black line behind the speaker grills. I couldn't see that anymore. after the treatment it was visible again. it held up. day two with perfect performance and even better ANC. Still a pain in the a**. How often will I have to repeat that?

i can’t see any black line, weird. I will try with a magnifier.

so you use qtip and alcohol? Did you get the grills wet, applying some force while rubbing, and let them dry?

The Carny

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
Although the apparently quite different anatomy of my ears has been causing me issues with getting my AirPods Pro to ‘feel’ right from the get-go (I received them just over a fortnight ago), they’ve been bothering me a lot more the last few days - seemingly less effective ANC and transparency mode, a weird feeling of pressure from time to time. Lo and behold, the previously flawless ‘Fit Test’ stopped working for my right ear.

The sucking method fixed it and they now sound much better...for now at least. I can but hope the blanket shortage suggests a low-key hardware fix, at which point I’ll be contacting Apple for a replacement pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grothesk

The Carny

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
Here’s a new one:

I thought I’d give the medium tips another try this morning, so I took them out of the box and applied them. Had a bit of trouble securing one of them back into the packaging though.

Listened, but the right ear was almost inaudible. Turns out that a thin, perfectly shaped layer of the packaging to which the tips secure had come off and was stuck in the tip, covering the grill. Got it off with Blu-Tack, but a warning for anyone who has switched them over a few times!

Reactions: mihike

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Glad I found this thread! Yesterday I noticed hearing a distracting amount of bone-conduction and even musculature noise as I moved my neck. My own voice was boomy on calls, and the transparency mode seemed less clear. Sure enough, fit test was now failing for both sides.
Swabbing the AirPods with alcohol didn’t help, but as ridiculous as it sounds, forcibly sucking through the inner grill several time did. My APP are as sounding good as new, for now, and fit test also passes.

Reactions: Grothesk

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Glad I found this thread! Yesterday I noticed hearing a distracting amount of bone-conduction and even musculature noise as I moved my neck. My own voice was boomy on calls, and the transparency mode seemed less clear. Sure enough, fit test was now failing for both sides.
Swabbing the AirPods with alcohol didn’t help, but as ridiculous as it sounds, forcibly sucking through the inner grill several time did. My APP are as sounding good as new, for now, and fit test also passes.
My right bud fails fit test every time no matter how many times or how hard it’s sucked but, fortunately they work flawlessly.

Reactions: BD1

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Just as a follow up after the AirPods Pro Suck... I've been listening to music today (Apple Music, mostly chill electronica), and I'm delighted to have the original quality audio back. The bass and definition are much improved in ANC and Transparency modes. Funny how it just had slowly degraded until I noticed yesterday.

As an experiment, I was able to reproduce the problem by simply covering the inner mic grills with scotch tape. Results: less bass, bone conduction noise, less effective ANC, and failure to pass the Fit Test. Likewise, moisture on the inner mic grills causes the same effect.

Seems like there should be a solution. Perhaps a software update could learn to compensate around the changing inner mic response over time, and at some point if it reaches a limit, suggest a cleaning. Preventing the problem from happening would seem to require at least some kind of oleophobic coating on the mic grid (maybe there already is one), or replacing the mic grid altogether with a flush membrane and moving the vent elsewhere.

mzaferyahsi

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Amsterdam
I was about to give up on my third pair of Airpods Pro but thanks to you guys, they work like a charm now! I noticed the issue after I had my Airpods Pros while running (and unfortunately sweating...). I cleaned the grills with Isopropyl Alcohol and now I'm getting great sound and great noise cancellation.

Reactions: Grothesk and Bromeo

BalutFX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Snohomish, WA
After noticing reduced noise cancellation weeks ago, I figured it was the firmware update. Found this thread and tried the sucking method. Seemed to fix the noise cancellation, but decided to chat with support anyway. They suggested a reset/repair and could not get a successful fit test. Made an appointment at the Genius Bar and they ordered a replacement set for me. They didn’t look at the AirPods before ordering, so it seems they are well aware of the problem. Will be curious to see if the replacements have a different hardware number (doubtful), but guessing they will come with the older firmware.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
They didn’t look at the AirPods before ordering, so it seems they are well aware of the problem. Will be curious to see if the replacements have a different hardware number (doubtful), but guessing they will come with the older firmware.

don't think so as well, but let us know. When will you receive the new unit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.