AirPod Refresh Upcoming?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ttusomeone, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ttusomeone macrumors member

ttusomeone

I'm wanting to get a set of AirPods. However, given the upcoming Sept. Apple event I'm always hesitant buying new Apple products this time of year in case they release something new. Given they announced AirPods last September with the iPhone 7, what's the likelihood they release a refresh with the iPhone 8? I know no one knows for sure, but what are the best guesses?

2. Relentless Power, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Highly unlikely. They were announced last September, however The AirPods were actually released in December 2016, less than a year. Apple is just now reducing wait times to have Available stock and third-party retailers are finally receiving more in stock regularly. I don't expect AirPods to be updated until 2018 or later.

3. ttusomeone thread starter macrumors member

ttusomeone

Great thanks for the info. I didn't really follow them closely after they were announced so that makes sense.

4. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

yes, they are totally going to refresh them. even though they can barely keep them in stock now. So why not pour money into R&D to improve an already sold out item before it has a chance to even saturate the market, which it totally has potential to do.

Or maybe, they won't who knows.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

They may not refresh them, but I have a feeling they may keep everything the same but add colors. I have nothing to back up what I am saying, I just have a feeling.

This would make many current owners, buy another pair plus grow the market (those who wouldn't buy it because of only being white).

It would be a great way to show case them during the event, with minimal lifting.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

They won't add color options until the next iteration. They still are behind in production since their debut in December 2016. Mainly being if they see an update in 2018, then the possibility of expanding in a color would be More appropriate. With the Airpods, I don't think keeping them refreshed is a thought right now given the demand. Which I only see black being the only real color option to be available next to white.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

Only thing I want from the AirPods is some way to kick the volume up/down a notch with gestures/taps.

Beyond that, they are far and away my favorite tech product of the last 7-8 years.

8. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I think we could see a gloss black colour introduced. Used mine every day since launch, battery remains excellent, overall the best 'first gen' product I think I have had from Apple.

9. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

You might be surprised... Color would likely only require dye in the mixture of the casing. I agree there may be only 1 new color at first, but I have a feeling they will hold black for a while, and maybe go with red, or some other distinct color.

Again, no proof, just me guessing.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not sure how reserved Apple will be with the Airpod colors. But they will likely expand that to allow for More options to a wider demographic. I think late 2018 will be the next refresh, which would put them at two years from the release.

11. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I think they will have a V2 in 2018, and a new color to V1 this year.

It will be a year since release, and when they feature the airpods new iOS 11 features, a new color is an easy way (at no real major cost to them) to generate new press. The separate side double tap is something that will not generate new interest (it will only really matter to those who already have it, and are aware of what iOS 10's limits were).

12. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I seriously doubt there will ever be another color. Apple has never had a different color earbud or EarPod yet why start now.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

But remember, they didn't release until December 2016. So it's not even close to a year yet. I don't see Apple planning to keep these refreshed or announcing a new color this early. As easy as it may be to release a new color, they can't even keep up with the current demand for this model. White is their classic color, maybe black. But I don't see this happening for while.

14. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Who knows... we are all speculating here. They don't have to have a Sep/Oct release date of the new color, it could be as late as Dec to still hit this year.

For adding color, I see a different color only because it will bring new sales. Business decision wise, it is the easiest way to increase sales with little to no additional cost. It is a no brainer.

Supply wise, I have ordered 2 sets, one for me about a month ago on AT&T, and Monday this week as a gift for my brother. Both were in hands within 3 days, so I'm not sure we have a major supply issue anymore (yes, they still aren't in stores, but I have a feeling Apple doesn't want that).

Which color, I say they wait to add black to much later, just to piss me off... Apple likes things to stick out and clearly be Apple, black wouldn't do this, Red with their Red 7/7+ would. Personally I want black.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    This is clearly a different product than earbud/earpod. This is meant to compete with other products in this space, the earpods/earbuds have been a freebee (iphone/ipods), and have never been a product that held any major market share (at least in my area NYC mass transit). Even their silicone tip upgraded earphones have never really held any market share (I really did like these).

This is their first earphone product (other than beats) that actually is the best execution in it's space and actually isn't pre-packaged with another product.

15. ttusomeone thread starter macrumors member

ttusomeone

The online store is now saying 4 weeks lead time on orders, and the few Apple store's I checked online say there are supposed to get more on Sept. 25th. Makes me wonder if they are refreshing them and they will be delivered with the new design. It could just be coincidence though. Also it may make sense that if they were phasing these out, the delivery date would be even longer.

If I place an order now, am I able to cancel it if they announce new ones before it is shipped? Or even after I get them, will the 14 day return window still apply?

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

That would seem to fall inline with the Beats headphone refreshes.

17. Lioness~ macrumors regular

Lioness~

I hope not, neither do I believe, :apple: release new kinds of AirPods anytime soon.
    I ordered mine yesterday & they are on their way & will arrive tuesday:)

Hope to end this pairing hell now :rolleyes:

Well some may continue, but I sure think it'll be better with AirPods.

18. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Man pairing wasn't a big deal since the beginning. However I do notice pairing a stereo headset with 2+ devices seems to get worse and the real benefit of the W1 chip, although no pairing goes mode nor code (already automated) was the auto paired to other Apple devices making it a true one and done.

I'll have to check if Beats 3 or Beats Studio will have this soon. I'm praying Apple will allow the chip for sale and license to partners such as B&O those H7's are calling my name big time this fall and winter. Daddy needs new ear muffs.

19. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

All of the new beats with the W1 chip allow the pairing across devices. Studios haven’t been updated yet. No third parties yet either.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I am curious to see the insides of a new set of airpods (made recently). I hope iFixIt can do another teardown or something.

In the first teardown, they noted how it looked like their they had manufacturing issues.

"Our X-ray imagery shows some quality issues in this chip's solder joints. Empty spaces, known as voiding, could be evidence of low quality standards, or a rushed product release. Could issues with the AirPod case be what delayed release?"
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Teardown/75578

It would be neat to see if Apple has silently changed anything inside of them since initial release. Mostly because it would get all the hard-core OCD Apple fans into a rage about how certain airpods are better than others, searching for serial numbers or other ways to correlate which airpods they have, etc.

21. blue rocket macrumors 6502

blue rocket

my feeling is that we'll get a new color or 2. There's absolutely no reason to revise them as they are pretty much perfect as is. Demand has been outstanding, people want them, now they can offer a new color and start the demand up again, or get crazy apple fans to buy another set for the new color. we'll see what happens but I cant imagine the design or functionality will change.