Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I just got my AirPods 2. I put the charging case with the AirPods inside of it on top of my Mophie wireless Qi charging base. The charging light on the AirPods case came on, in the same way that it does when I plug in the USB charger.

But this morning when I woke up, I opened the AirPods charging case and my phone told me that while the right AirPod and case were 100% charged, the left one was only 8% charged.

Does this mean they didn't fully charge on the Mophie wireless charger? Do they charge one AirPod at a time, first right and then left? I've never owned AirPods so I don't know how it works.

Thanks.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I would reset the air pods and try again. The wireless charger should charge the airpods case and its the airpods case that charges the earbuds themselves. If that doesn't work then you have a problem with the left earbud. You could double check by charging the case with a lightning cable,

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I would reset the air pods and try again. The wireless charger should charge the airpods case and its the airpods case that charges the earbuds themselves. If that doesn't work then you have a problem with the left earbud. You could double check by charging the case with a lightning cable,

I have it plugged in to the lightning cable now to determine whether the issue is with the AirPods or the Mophie charger not charging them. It works well with my iPhone XS but maybe the AirPods weren't positioned exactly right, or have different charging requirements?

How do I reset the AirPods?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I have it plugged in to the lightning cable now to determine whether the issue is with the AirPods or the Mophie charger not charging them. It works well with my iPhone XS but maybe the AirPods weren't positioned exactly right, or have different charging requirements?

How do I reset the AirPods?
  • Press and hold the setup button on your AirPods case for at least 15 seconds until the status light starts flashing amber.
  • Reconnect your AirPods to your devices. If you previously setup the double-tap to pause feature, you'll need to activate this again.

Reactions: m-a and igroeg

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, when I got mine yesterday (lightning case), the right bud was running wild in the case for some reason when plugged in (depleting the battery in that pod and keeping the case from charging). I reset, repaired, and all is well. I recall having that glitch once on my gen 1s too.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, when I got mine yesterday (lightning case), the right bud was running wild in the case for some reason when plugged in (depleting the battery in that pod and keeping the case from charging). I reset, repaired, and all is well. I recall having that glitch once on my gen 1s too.

Do you mean the right bud was not positioned in the case properly? What's weird is that I had already used the AirPods and put them back in the case before I charged it.

This morning I charged the case using the Lightning cable. Now my phone is telling me that both ear buds are charged fully. I guess I'll try again with the wireless charger tonight, and see if that's the issue. Thanks.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
It may be that the charger does not work with the airpod case because of the metal in the hinge. I have this problem my ravpower charger, flashes red as there is metal contact and won't charge.

However, if I buffer it, such as put an empty iphone case between the charger and the airpod case, now it wirelessly charges fine! bit of a pain, not sure now which chargers would work.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I was considering getting a waterproof case like this for them anyway. I wonder if it would have a similar effect?

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Do you mean the right bud was not positioned in the case properly? What's weird is that I had already used the AirPods and put them back in the case before I charged it.

This morning I charged the case using the Lightning cable. Now my phone is telling me that both ear buds are charged fully. I guess I'll try again with the wireless charger tonight, and see if that's the issue. Thanks.

No. Sorry for not being clear. I mean that the AirPod was apparently running some process that was using battery power even though it was in the case.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I just got my AirPods 2. I put the charging case with the AirPods inside of it on top of my Mophie wireless Qi charging base. The charging light on the AirPods case came on, in the same way that it does when I plug in the USB charger.

But this morning when I woke up, I opened the AirPods charging case and my phone told me that while the right AirPod and case were 100% charged, the left one was only 8% charged.

Does this mean they didn't fully charge on the Mophie wireless charger? Do they charge one AirPod at a time, first right and then left? I've never owned AirPods so I don't know how it works.

Thanks.

That charger is not compatible. Mophie has said so themselves. There are other threads on it. It shuts off because it thinks there is an obstruction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.