Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuan time

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Currently on an iPhone X. I have to re-pair the airpods and it will play for about 1 minute then lose connection. I have to repair it again like a brand new pair but it still drops after the time has passed. Not sure if its an airpod issue or ios 15 issue but I'm hoping to not have to return these and can get if fixed.

Currently on an iPhone X. I have to re-pair the airpods and it will play for about 1 minute then lose connection. I have to repair it again like a brand new pair but it still drops after the time has passed. Not sure if its an airpod issue or ios 15 issue but I'm hoping to not have to return these and can get if fixed.
I'm having the same issue with mine. This happens when I pair to iPhone 13 mini or M1 MBA. Both are running the latest updates from the past week.

update: I should note I always initiate the pair to the iPhone, but have been able to successfully connect to macbook immediately following (I'm not even sure how to pair directly to mac). But regardless the airpods disconnect and unpair in ~1 minute and I need to restart the pairing process.

Last edited:

brn2prgrm2

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
Same exact issue here. Just got new MagSafe AirPod Pros and they won’t hold a connection longer than 1-3 minutes. They even drop off my paired Bluetooth devices menu, and I need to a reset. Issue happens on 15.1 and 15.2 DP1. Has anyone found a fix?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Same exact issue here. Just got new MagSafe AirPod Pros and they won’t hold a connection longer than 1-3 minutes. They even drop off my paired Bluetooth devices menu, and I need to a reset. Issue happens on 15.1 and 15.2 DP1. Has anyone found a fix?

That's odd. No issues here with my AirPod Pros and iPhone 13 Max running iOS 15.1. Also working flawlessly with macOS 11.6.1 and Windows 10.

brn2prgrm2

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
That's odd. No issues here with my AirPod Pros and iPhone 13 Max running iOS 15.1. Also working flawlessly with macOS 11.6.1 and Windows 10.
Do you have any other Apple/Beats headphones? Others have said the issue happens when in range of multiple audio devices, but I completely unpaired (removed from iCloud account) my PowerBeats Pros, and I still have the same issue every time. The AirPods are unusable at this point.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Do you have any other Apple/Beats headphones? Others have said the issue happens when in range of multiple audio devices, but I completely unpaired (removed from iCloud account) my PowerBeats Pros, and I still have the same issue every time. The AirPods are unusable at this point.

No, I don't, but I see you've already eliminated that as a factor anyway. I'm assuming you've already tried restarting your iPhone?

brn2prgrm2

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
No, I don't, but I see you've already eliminated that as a factor anyway. I'm assuming you've already tried restarting your iPhone?
Lol yes I’ve tried all the basic triage. I even updated to 15.2 DP1, hoping the bug was already fixed. Unfortunately it is not.

tuan time

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Just tried to pair my gf’s new AirPod #3s to my phone and the same thing happened. About a minute of playback then disconnected.

Hmm... yeah I have airpods 2, but I've been needing them so haven't gotten around to trying an unpair. I might try that later today (even though it didn't work for you...)

tuan time

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Wait so both your Airpods and your gf's did the same thing? Both on your phone? Has your gf tried pairing either of them to her phone?
Only on my phone (iPhone X). Her pair and phone (11 pro) seem to be fine, at least for now. Haven't tried my pair and her phone yet though.

Only on my phone (iPhone X). Her pair and phone (11 pro) seem to be fine, at least for now. Haven't tried my pair and her phone yet though.
That's curious that the same pair works fine on one phone but not on another... for what it's worth I've also tried directly pairing to my iPad with same result. ....

WOW, ok real time as I'm writing this, I figured out how to pair directly to my macbook and now it seems to have stuck! I played a video for 3 minutes and then experimented with switching back and forth to my iPhone, iPad and Mac. Here I am about 10 minutes going and it's stayed paired to my iCloud account! I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I recommend trying to pair to all the Apple devices you have to see if one of them sticks!

tuan time

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
That's curious that the same pair works fine on one phone but not on another... for what it's worth I've also tried directly pairing to my iPad with same result. ....

WOW, ok real time as I'm writing this, I figured out how to pair directly to my macbook and now it seems to have stuck! I played a video for 3 minutes and then experimented with switching back and forth to my iPhone, iPad and Mac. Here I am about 10 minutes going and it's stayed paired to my iCloud account! I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I recommend trying to pair to all the Apple devices you have to see if one of them sticks!
Thanks! This seems to have solved the problem. I connected it to my Mac and then AppleTV just to be safe. No more drops for now.

BUT I do have issues with reconnecting and disconnecting. I’ll put them both back in the case and the phone will still think I’m connected to them for a bit.

Hopefully there’s a way to resolve it for the people who only have the iPhone and no other Apple products.

airbusdanny

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
Since a month or so, I find my [2pairs] airpods disconnect within 1 minute from my updated iphones (12 and xs) there is no problem with my watches and ipad (not yet updated)

I contacted apple helpdesk and this problem was acknowledged, update or firmware will follow.

Wondering if anyone else has had this recently. btw no problems with airpods 1,2 or pro, or . Its airpods 3 only. even JBL pods have no problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.