Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's third-generation AirPods feature a new skin-detect sensor for improved in-ear detection, according to Apple's tech specs page and Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.

airpods-3-in-ear.jpg

In a press release earlier this week, Apple confirmed that the third-generation AirPods feature a new skin-detect sensor that accurately discerns if the AirPods are in the ear — versus in a pocket or on a table — and pauses playback when removed. Industry insiders told TrendForce that the new skin-detect sensor may allow the third-generation AirPods to detect water content in the wearer's skin for this purpose.

Meanwhile, Apple's tech specs page indicates that the third-generation AirPods do not support Conversation Boost, a feature designed to help people with mild hearing challenges stay more connected in conversations. Conversation Boost is only available on the AirPods Pro following a firmware update earlier this month.

Conversation Boost uses the AirPods Pro's beam-forming microphones to boost the volume of a person talking in front of you, making it easier to listen to a face-to-face conversation, and there is also an option to reduce ambient noise.

Apple unveiled the third-generation AirPods on Monday with a similar design as the AirPods Pro, but no active noise cancellation or silicone ear tips. Key features include improved sound quality with Adaptive EQ and spatial audio, longer battery life, a MagSafe charging case, IPX4-rated water and sweat resistance, and more. The third-generation AirPods are available to order now for $179 and will launch on Tuesday, October 26.

Article Link: AirPods 3 Feature Improved In-Ear Detection, Don't Have Conversation Boost

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Bought a pair to replace my 2nd gen AirPods. I'm hoping the slight adjustment in shape doesn't affect how well the 3rd gens stay put. I might be in the minority, but the regular AirPods fit great in my ears. Never once had them fall out while exercising.

gmarm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
I hope using silicon covers is not going to be an issue.

I am unable to use other AirPods models without them.

visualride

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
With a little research I found that AirPod 2's are also IPX4-rated. Just a marketing technique looks like. Still, when my 2's die, I'll be getting the 3.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Bought a pair to replace my 2nd gen AirPods. I'm hoping the slight adjustment in shape doesn't affect how well the 3rd gens stay put. I might be in the minority, but the regular AirPods fit great in my ears. Never once had them fall out while exercising.
I have the opposite problem, the old design doesn't stay put unless I put foam covers on them. The covers interfere with ear detection and made them a bit of a pain to use.

Hopefully this redesign stays put better in my ears!

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
All I want to know is if the change in shape that’s been described as improving the direction of the sound will also make it stay in my ears.

I’m one of those weirdos for whom EarPods and AirPods just fall straight out with the slightest head movement, and having something jammed in my ear canal ala the AirPods Pro is just far too uncomfortable. If this turns out to make fall-out a thing of the past, Apple can very much take my money.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Hmmm I already got a new phone, watch and the new MacBook Pro this year, I need to save money for Christmas. I think I need to ask for this as a present.

Reactions: valleian

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I think I’ll get these whenever my pros die. I find the lack of silicone tips much more comfortable and the noise cancelation hasn’t been that useful for me.

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
But will this fix the AirPods deciding to disconnect from the device I was listening to something on and connecting to another device I wasn’t even using just because I took a bud out of my ear? Will it fix the AirPods completely ignoring that I’ve hit play on a device forcing me to manually connect to them?

Auto-switching/connection has been a total disaster for ages now. It was perfect when iOS14 released but since then it’s just become so unreliable and flaky.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm in the same bought, just ordered these to replace my gen 1 AirPods which fit perfectly. I do a lot of running and weight lifting and never had an issue with them falling out. Feel very comfortable too.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Ear detection on my gen 2 non-pros has never been an issue for me. In fact, it’s too good because when I take one out to hear someone I often cover the detectors and it starts playing again. Maybe this fixes that? However, I don’t see how it would.

Anecdotally, I’m also one of those that hates things in their ear canals. It’s a tactile thing, not a suction thing so the Pros wouldn’t be any better. I’m super glad they still have a non-ear canal version and I’d also like to have noise cancellation, etc.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
These look so amazing. If only they had Active Noise Cancelling...
I don't want AirPods Pro. I don't want silicone tips in my ears.
Noise cancellation doesn’t do anything unless sound is dampened to something akin to pressing your fingers up against your ear canal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.