Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oh, that is too bad. It fixes it 100% for me, and I hate in ear buds.
I'm talking about the pressure of having something in your ear, pressing outward to seal off the outside noise. I don't like it, and many others, don't. The new AirPods are great for those of us that don't need/want noise cancelling when using them for basic music listening or phone conversations.

Reactions: Moonlight

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I'm not sure of the MacRumors rules about posting prices from particular vendors, but as far as AirPods Pro . . . the MSRP is indeed $249. But the major e-tailer out there has them for sale at $197. And they are available now. That may make the decision much easier for some people.

Reactions: DanTSX

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Here let me sum it up for you...

The AirPods 3 sell for $179 and feature outdated technology and design that is only approaching the level of the 2 year old AirPods Pro design yet remains inferior in many ways (lack of ANR, transparency, larger size) from the AirPods Pro and Apple produced Beats products such as the Studio Buds. When you consider the AirPods Pro often can be found selling for $199 (and sometimes less!) which is only $20 more and in many ways better products such as Beats Studio Buds sell for $149 (discounted often to $129) this is a disappointing launch.
I don't understand this. What outdated technology are you referring to, they have everything I could want in AirPods? As for design - there's only so many ways to design AirPods, the design is pretty much perfect..

ANC requires a seal - which is something many users including myself do not want. I really really dislike silicone cups jammed in my ears and without those ANC really isn't feasible, atleast not good ANC.

These AirPods best the APP in two noticeable ways, battery life and FaceTime calls and exactly what I was hoping for from Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
This. I ordered Airpods 3 as an upgrade from my aging Airpods 2 which fit my ears perfectly. I am completely uninterested in AirPods Pro because the rubber tips are a negative for my use case. Price does even enter into the equation for me.
Same here, I cannot stand the silicone cups in my ear. I'm upgrading from the gen 1 AirPods to gen 3. Looking forward to trying out the spatial audio improvements.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Really surprised the Air Pods are still that expensive. So many premium options that are now cheaper. Apple was the price leader when the first model was introduced but now they are lagging behind in price.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
i am still 3.5mm jack user, but does the airpods price tag really worth it? I don't understand how it cost so much
Yes.

Not being physically attached to a device by a wire is amazingly freeing. No more yanking buds out of ears, devices off tables, pausing to pick up devices, etc. Apple ecosystem integration makes connection and device switching much faster/easier/cleaner than other Bluetooth headsets.

I'm on my 3rd AirPods pair, having worn out the other two (battery leaking on one, erratic connectivity on other). That's a lot of $$$, yet worth every penny (vs lamenting throwing out other cheap BT headset for $ squandered). Would be delighted to update to a new version, if only it had "Transparency mode" without the silicone inserts.

Reactions: KeithBN

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm talking about the pressure of having something in your ear, pressing outward to seal off the outside noise. I don't like it, and many others, don't. The new AirPods are great for those of us that don't need/want noise cancelling when using them for basic music listening or phone conversations.
Yeah, what I am saying is transparency mode releases that pressure.

hughmass

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Eugene Oregon
I purchased them. I had the AirPods pro but one ear was in constant pain, but I can wear the original AirPods so spent the money in the hopes of really fine sound and comfort. Besides, after a couple of years, my AirPods just were...

joshuamj

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
I ordered these, but I'm torn. I've had the Pros since they launched in 2019, and in two years I've had each bud replaced 5-6 times for internal vibrations. I assume a part of this is in relation to their now extended service program, but I can't seem to find an indication that the current Pros have been updated / fixed. I do prefer noise cancellation and prefer any AirPods form factor to other headphones, but maybe I should wait for Pro gen 2.

Reactions: clunkmess

kenny911

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
Whats the big difference between the AirPods 2 vs 3 besides battery life? I own a pair of AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro but I much prefer using the AirPods 2 because the Pro's make my ears hurt.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Ordered a pair of AP3. I got sick of in-ear during my teenage years already. I just want easy hook-ins with okay sound. Replacing a pair of well-used first-gen. Looking forward to having them auto-switch device!

Great that they improved battery life also. Has always been their weak point to me.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
How long can you keep either of these before you have to throw them in the trash? My original AirPods were only good for a little over a year.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I ordered the AirPods 3. My son has the Pro and while I love the noise canceling, the tips doesn't fit my ears quite well. I'll give a shot and see if I like them. I wonder how the next generation Pro's will look like. If they somehow ditch the tips, that could be a winner for my situation.

Mark Holmes

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
San Diego CA
I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere: do the 3rd Gen AirPods work with tap and double tap as the originals and 2nd Gen? The one thing I hate about my AirPods Pro is having to grab and squeeze the stem to control them. The tap on my original AirPods is so much quicker and easier. I'll cancel my order for the 3rd Gen if tap control has been eliminated.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere: do the 3rd Gen AirPods work with tap and double tap as the originals and 2nd Gen? The one thing I hate about my AirPods Pro is having to grab and squeeze the stem to control them. The tap on my original AirPods is so much quicker and easier. I'll cancel my order for the 3rd Gen if tap control has been eliminated.

no. they implement the same system as the Pro, the squeeze.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I ordered these, but I'm torn. I've had the Pros since they launched in 2019, and in two years I've had each bud replaced 5-6 times for internal vibrations. I assume a part of this is in relation to their now extended service program, but I can't seem to find an indication that the current Pros have been updated / fixed. I do prefer noise cancellation and prefer any AirPods form factor to other headphones, but maybe I should wait for Pro gen 2.

all the rumors point to a launch of the AirPods Pro 2 in 2022 with them becoming true "buds" with no stem.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
yeah I’m tempted by the pros, especially the sales from Amazon and what not, but I’m not comfortable buying a two year-old Apple product.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshuamj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.