Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
They'll probably have as bad mic quality as all the other airpods.. Sigh.. why is this never addressed. Taking phone calls outside with Airpods, especially Airpods Pro, is just a nightmare

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I will let you try them for one hour for $250k 🤣

In all seriousness, I assumed the psychical structure of the buds would remain the same and I should have made that clear.

None of the apple ear bud variations felt comfortable in my ear and I would never consider running with them. I haven't tried the Pro with the rubber ear tips because I wont pay $200 for buds.
FWIW the regular airpods are way too big for my ears too, uncomfortable af, but the pros are not. The pros are comfy even with the stock tips and even better with foam tips off amazon. If you end up spending the money at some point you’ll probably be pleased

Last edited:

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
They'll probably have as bad mic quality as all the other airpods.. Sigh.. why is this never addressed. Taking phone calls outside with Airpods, especially Airpods Pro, is just a nightmare
So far my APPs have the best mic quality I’ve used in earbuds, and my wife’s APP2s seem much better at filtering background noise than my 1st gen ones are, which are in my experience, as I said, pretty good already, what headphones are you comparing them to?

bejib66000

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2022
The brand is airpods and they are white ! Midnight would be like twitter getting rid of the bird…….eeeeer okay midnight it is 👍

Poor comparison. You are contrasting a good brand (Twitter's bird) with a bad one (AirPods). Unlike AirPods, Twitter's bird is not obtrusive, does not impose itself loudly, maintains a consistent design, and doesn't contradict an individual's personal style. In contrast, AirPods appear loud and obtrusive, often clashing with the color of people's iPhones and frequently not harmonizing with their attire.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I wish these fit in my ear comfortably but they dont.

Ive always used ear buds with either rubber or memory foam tips.

I wish the Pro's were cheaper.

Interesting collection of Apple stuff in your sig. A lot of old stuff, then a Watch Ultra.

I’d advise you to do what I’m doing and wait until the APP2 with USB-C case comes out. APP1 are fantastic but there are clearly some fundamental manufacturing issues that they have worked out with the second revision. If the first generation are any indication they’ll be perpetually on sale at Amazon for $200 and less at times.

Reactions: surfzen21

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Interesting collection of Apple stuff in your sig. A lot of old stuff, then a Watch Ultra.

I’d advise you to do what I’m doing and wait until the APP2 with USB-C case comes out. APP1 are fantastic but there are clearly some fundamental manufacturing issues that they have worked out with the second revision. If the first generation are any indication they’ll be perpetually on sale at Amazon for $200 and less at times.
Yep.

I don't upgrade just to update like some or just to have the newest. I'm surprised my iPhone 11 is lasting as long as it has. I will upgrade my phone this year though. I have a huge scratch across the phone and my iPhone 6, which I use for work, is on its last leg.

As for the MacBookPro, I've been saying for the last 4 years I'm going to upgrade and I haven't. I've been using it less and less so its still working fine for a couch computer.

The iPad is only for reading books on. As much as I love a physical book, my collection was getting too big and space to store them was running thin. I tried to draw on the iPad too and found I didn't like the way it felt.

I will probably get a MacBook Air when they put an M3 in it. It will be another thing I plan on keeping for years and not part of a bi-annual upgrade like some.

The AWU is probably the best piece of tech I've purchased in a long time. If this years upgrade was substantial I would probably upgrade it before my iPhone. I hope I won't want to do that for a few years though.

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I use the first gen Pros because nothing else will stay in my ears. My wife wears her AirPods about 6 hours/day. and says the Pro make her ears itchy. She is happy with her Gen 1 AirPods but the Gen 3 won't stay in her ears because they are way too big - so we sent them back. Perhaps Apple should offer multiple sizes?

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I use the first gen Pros because nothing else will stay in my ears. My wife wears her AirPods about 6 hours/day. and says the Pro make her ears itchy. She is happy with her Gen 1 AirPods but the Gen 3 won't stay in her ears because they are way too big - so we sent them back. Perhaps Apple should offer multiple sizes?
Apple makes multiple sizes of AirPod Pro ear pieces, and if those don’t stay in your ears there are foam tips you can use for a perfect fit… Yes it costs more, but the sound quality and noise cancellation are worth it! 😉

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I would LOVE if Apple could release an AirPod (or Pro) with a longer earbud stem that can insert a bit further in and fit in smaller ears. Or even a case that could allow longer eartips for the Pro.

I'm among the small (but not tiny!) portion of the world for whom AirPods cannot stay in my ear without causing a pressure-hotspot against the outside of the ear (the 'funnel' into the ear canal). 😢

The old Apple "In-Ear" wired headphones are perfect. The buds were long enough that the rest of the earpiece didn't touch the outside of the ear.

I've tried a million 3rd party foam ear tips for the Pro, but because all of these need to fit INSIDE the AirPods case, none of them can actually extend the device long enough for my ear shape.
I am waiting for the hardware used by Face ID to allow scanning of each ear to provide information so that Apple could 3D print custom AirPods that exactly matched the shape of each pinna. Something like this can be done for hearing aids now, so why not AirPods?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'd like to see if Apple will try to implement wireless audio tranmission over utra wideband (UWB) with all AirPods models with the H2 chip from now on. UWB's huge bandwidth compared to even Bluetooth 5.3 may make wireless transmission of Apple Lossless audio possible.

Reactions: johnmarki
The evolution of the AirPods in 15 years.

IMG_2508.jpeg

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
AirPods and AirPods 2 didn't fit my ears.
AirPods 3 fit perfectly, they're superb and I use them most days.
If AirPods 4 are the same fit as the 3, this'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Reactions: GeoStructural

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I have said it before, and will say it again: the AirPods 3 are superior to the Pro. They are more comfortable, fit better, and sound better.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
AirPods and AirPods 2 didn't fit my ears.
AirPods 3 fit perfectly, they're superb and I use them most days.
If AirPods 4 are the same fit as the 3, this'll be a day 1 purchase for me.
I exchanged the AirPods Pro for the AirPods 3, they really do feel better in your ears, it is more of a “universal fit”.

The Pros sound muffled, and feel very uncomfortable, especially with the silicone tips.

mihighil

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2022
The most basic hardware with tons of software over-processing.Not being able to repair them is a added bonus. Really green! 💪🏻

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
airpods pro was the first time i experienced noise cancelling, i thought noise cancelling was not necessary, and a gimmick, even bought the airpods 3rd gen. after trying that airpods pro, boy was I wrong.
And the new Adaptive mode is a really cool evolution of ANC. I use it a lot on the subway even without music playing, just to protect my hearing from super loud train sounds. Most of the time the noise cancelling is fairly minimal, but it adapts quickly when outside noise ramps up. I wish I'd had these years ago -- my hearing would probably be better than it is!

Reactions: libmanj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.