Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
For those with airpods and an original Apple Watch (series 0), I was wondering if I could ask your opinion as to how you are finding the experience of using the Apple Watch to control volume and playback on your airpods.
Reason why I ask if because the Apple Watch series 2 has a nifty feature where the Digital Crown can be used to adjust volume irrespective of what Watch app you are in and even when the Watch screen is off. The series 0 does not have this feature for 'reasons unknown'.
Furthermore I have noticed a small lag between me pausing / changing tracks on the watch, also when adjusting volume via the crown in the 'now playing' screen - I cannot fine tune volume with the crown and there appears to be big jumps in the volume due to the lag.

What have your experiences been?

Reactions: MDePew24

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
...the Apple Watch series 2 has a nifty feature where the Digital Crown can be used to adjust volume irrespective of what Watch app you are in and even when the Watch screen is off. The series 0 does not have this feature for 'reasons unknown'...

Great question, as I have the same. I have not been able to figure this out either. One of the highly touted features is Apple Watch connectivity enabling physical volume controls from the Watch. Does this not exist for Series 0?

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I've just got my AirPods and took them for a 10km run with my SS (Series 0) watch. I don't have any lag or delay changing volume using the crown when the Music app is on the screen. Obviously, as you point out, it doesn't adjust volume when on the home screen or with the screen off. I just start my activity and tend not to adjust volume. My face (Activity Digital) has Weather / Music and Workout as complications for quick access anyway.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how nice it is to run without wires - be it standard earphones with a 3.5mm jack or other BT earphones with a cable behind the neck. Apple's earbuds, nor any others, have ever entirely stayed in my ears.

Without a cable, the AirPods just stay there without a problem for sitting, walking, and gentle jogging. However, when running at my normal pace (4.30/km) over mixed terrain and gradient, I do feel them slipping a little so think I'll buy some rubberised tips/winglets to keep them extra secure. Aside from running, they're so light and unaffected by cables that they just sit tight without issue.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Yeah you'd think it would be something the 0's could handle, maybe in an update though I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've not got mine yet, but when I do I'll just do what I currently do when I'm listening to music and want Watch control.

I set the Watch to show last app used on wrist raise (and obviously make sure the last app is music) then I get instant access to the controls.

It's hardly as seamless as it should be, but it only takes a second to switch the modes so I don't really mind.

Reactions: friedmud

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Apple Watch series 2 has a nifty feature where the Digital Crown can be used to adjust volume irrespective of what Watch app you are in and even when the Watch screen is off. The series 0 does not have this feature for 'reasons unknown'.

Can you post a link or something to where you saw this. I know the crown can be used to slightly turn on the display on series 2 watches but Ive never heard of it being able to change the volume irrespective of the app running.

Reactions: Arran and friedmud

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Firstly: The Apple Watch (any version) and the AirPods are a match made in tech heaven. They work together seamlessly... I absolutely love the combo... and I have a Series 0 Watch.

I don't notice any lag... and changing the volume using the Now Playing App and the Digital Crown works just fine.

I'm not even sure I would WANT the crown to control the volume all the time. I know that there's have been times that my Watch screen has stayed on and the volume has been inadvertently changed by the Digital Crown rolling as it rubbed up against my shirt cuff / glove. I think it would be annoyjng for it to always be that way!

I set the Watch to show last app used on wrist raise (and obviously make sure the last app is music) then I get instant access to the controls.

That's what I do (and have always done).

Can you post a link or something to where you saw this. I know the crown can be used to slightly turn on the display on series 2 watches but Ive never heard of it being able to change the volume irrespective of the app running.

I'm interested in this too. This is the first I've heard of it.

Can anyone with a Series 2 confirm?

Reactions: Arran

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I've been using my series 0 watch more now that I have AirPods. Controlling the volume from the now playing app. I also have my watch set for the last app used to display. I have noticed my Watch battery drains much faster now then before. Due to the increase in usage. I have considered getting a series 2 before. Now I'm more intrigued by the function of the crown for volume control at all times. I was not aware of that feature of the series 2. I hope a update can change series 0 to be more compatible.

Reactions: nighthawk67

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I'm not even sure I would WANT the crown to control the volume all the time. I know that there's have been times that my Watch screen has stayed on and the volume has been inadvertently changed by the Digital Crown rolling as it rubbed up against my shirt cuff / glove. I think it would be annoyjng for it to always be that way!
As a software option, this may please everyone.

I'm ok with the way it works now for working out and everyday activities.

Having multiple ways of controlling the volume makes the Airpods flexible and simple.

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
What's funny is the Now Playing glance in the dock doesn't appear to run in the background as consistently as other system apps, like Weather or Timer. It's a bummer because it may be the quickest way to the volume controls, since there is no Now Playing Widget.

I'd probably use an option that would allow the crown to be volume when audio is playing.

Reactions: Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I have a series 0 and series 2 and I can't get it to work with either. Turning the crown on the watch face just invokes "Time Travel"

Edit: And disabling time travel just... disables time travel. Duh! :)

Last edited:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
i want to know about the digital crown changing the volume on the Series 2 irrespective of the app. I simply do not think this is true. and I am ready to fight to the death to find out

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Firstly: The Apple Watch (any version) and the AirPods are a match made in tech heaven. They work together seamlessly... I absolutely love the combo... and I have a Series 0 Watch.

I don't notice any lag... and changing the volume using the Now Playing App and the Digital Crown works just fine.

This, exactly!

Reactions: friedmud

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
You need a series 2 Apple Watch and the latest version of Watch OS I believe (the version that was pulled - only some got it on time)

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I have a series 0 and series 2 and I can't get it to work with either. Turning the crown on the watch face just invokes "Time Travel"

Edit: And disabling time travel just... disables time travel. Duh! :)

You have to be in the Music app for the volume control to work, at least on the series 0.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You have to be in the Music app for the volume control to work, at least on the series 0.
Agreed. But that's not what the OP claimed.

So... are we missing something, or is the OP wrong?
For those with airpods and an original Apple Watch (series 0), I was wondering if I could ask your opinion as to how you are finding the experience of using the Apple Watch to control volume and playback on your airpods.
Reason why I ask if because the Apple Watch series 2 has a nifty feature where the Digital Crown can be used to adjust volume irrespective of what Watch app you are in and even when the Watch screen is off. The series 0 does not have this feature for 'reasons unknown'.
Furthermore I have noticed a small lag between me pausing / changing tracks on the watch, also when adjusting volume via the crown in the 'now playing' screen - I cannot fine tune volume with the crown and there appears to be big jumps in the volume due to the lag.

What have your experiences been?
[red is mine]

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Agreed. But that's not what the OP claimed.

So... are we missing something, or is the OP wrong?

[red is mine]

Not 100% sure. As far as the screen needing to be on/off there seems to be differences in the function between the different series watches. For instance, Series 1 and 2 can change the volume if the screen is off. For Series 0, it only works if the screen is on.

Also, this may be dependent on the software as well. Apple released then pulled a version of WatchOS, so its possible you may be running a different version than the OP.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
my buddy has a series 2 and i asked him to try it. he said only when he is in the music app does it do this. He proceeded to tell me, make sure you have "wake screen with last app" and it will ensure volume control through the crown upon wake. Other than that he didn't know what I was talking about.

So i think OP is probably incorrect.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Not 100% sure. As far as the screen needing to be on/off there seems to be differences in the function between the different series watches. For instance, Series 1 and 2 can change the volume if the screen is off. For Series 0, it only works if the screen is on.

Also, this may be dependent on the software as well. Apple released then pulled a version of WatchOS, so its possible you may be running a different version than the OP.

I have 3.1.1, the version that was pulled, on my series 0 and the screen needs to be on for the volume to work.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I have 3.1.1, the version that was pulled, on my series 0 and the screen needs to be on for the volume to work.

That seems to be how it is for all series 0. As far as having to be in the music app to change the volume, I didn't know if that was a version issue for the series 1 and 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.