Airpods and radiation exposure

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by glenohumeral, Dec 23, 2016.

1. glenohumeral macrumors newbie

Kinda worried about airpods and radiation effect it will have on my body

2. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

3. p8blr macrumors newbie

p8blr

It can't be any worse than the array of antennas in the rectangle you keep in your pants.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Don't wear them around a leaky Russian nuclear reactor??? :p

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Versus the other radiation that is going through us daily? People have been putting BT devices. among other radio wave gadgets on their heads for years. I suspect if there was an epidemic we'd have heard about it in the form of law suits or nanny activists successfully banning them.

Honestly, if you have earbuds in your ears more than a hour or so daily I'd be more concerned about the effect on hearing. That is something that long term headphone use at decent volume has proven to damage.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

All of the radiation these products produce are non-ionizing aka non-cancerous.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No, Apple's new AirPods won't give you cancer, experts say
    LATimes/Science Now

8. daijholt, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

People don't seem to understand the laws of physics these days. The more radioactivity human tissue is exposed to, the quicker it deteriorates. Radioactivity operates in different levels. Nuclear reactors emit extremely high levels, thus the death if you stand next to one as it melts down. Radio devices like phones, bluetooth headphones and other such devices emit almost imperceptibly low levels of radiation, meaning in order for these to emit a high enough level of radiation to damage tissue, you'd need hundreds of thousands of these devices, all powered on, in a single pile, with radios at full use, and then you'd need to stand next to it for weeks on end (and even that may be underestimating).

Think of how many wireless signals you're exposed to everyday. Wifi has a range of dozens of meters and is on every corner, other bluetooth devices can reach up to 20-30 meters and comes in nearly every mobile device. Every person you meet has a phone emitting a signal. Cell towers operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There's radiation from the sun and from space too. If there were a genuine risk from the devices we've built we'd all be dying horribly right now.

The laws of physics are the laws of physics, you can't just will them away.

9. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

Open settings on your phone, go to bluetooth. Count the devices found. They are iradiating you as I type.

Plus 4G.
    Plus Wifi.
    Plus GPS.
    Plus radar.
    Plus wireless charging.

You could hold off from Airpods.. You'll live one hour longer

10. glenohumeral thread starter macrumors newbie

11. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Then you're not planning to use AirPods, so don't worry about their radiation. Right?

12. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Some people think Apple will introduce wireless charging soon, the type where it covers an entire room. If that's true it'll be the perfect cocktail of cancer-inducing air waves!

13. Lucifer666, Dec 23, 2016

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

It's a concern. But put it into perspective.

The power is very low, and the frequency of the W1 and Bluetooth transmission are around the microwave range. Now, microwaves are not like nuclear radiation, but can cause burns at high levels (ovens ). But a microwave oven is what 500W? these are like 1 watt or something like that; VERY low power. Now take in to consideration the absolute inundation of microwave radiation all around you at about the same power level.

The real danger of radiation is the SUN. The Sun will absolutely kill you. Even extremely limited exposure is doing permanent damage. Just THINKING about the sun is unsafe. :D

Feel beter?

But to the tin foil hat crowd: Yes they will give you cancer. I'm certain, it's proven by 'scientists' all around. Huge cancers, slowly growing in your brain, making you even more paranoid (if that's possible), until your left a gibbering lunatic.

14. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Exactly. Just like lightbulbs emit more radiation than wi-fi. We would have long seen ill effects of lightbulb radiation poisoning. I think we will be ok.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

The Bluetooth energy is very low power energy compared to anything else the phone does.

Technically you're not ACTUALLY supposed to hold the phone up,to your head. It actually says that in the manual from Apple that is should be at least 5/8 inch away fro. You head when using. So go figure. I wonder if ther is any such disclaimer buried in the airpods manual

16. glenohumeral thread starter macrumors newbie

You gotta remember the inverse square law of physics with any kind of electromagnetic radiation.. 1/ r^2

microwave and light bulb MAY emit more absolute amount of radiation but you rarely have people stuck their heads next to those devices for a long time...

wireless headphone like airpods pose more risk just because by the nature of design..you cannot use it unless you have it close to your head.

17. Lucifer666, Dec 23, 2016

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Still the power is so low.

But the thing is this: If it was bad for you, you would get burned. This frequency will cook, not poison. So, in other words, it's not like Madam Curie when she exposed to the radiation smiling for photos, and then... You would know right away. Your skin would turn red and you would feel skin issues.
    But there's the idea that if it's microwave, then it would cook like microwave and cook from the inside
    (you know, the water molecules). But your skin would get if first. And the inverse law should clearly demonstrate this. All the power would get your skin.

Bottom line, it's not dangerous if there's no skin irritation, which is easily monitored.

18. glenohumeral thread starter macrumors newbie

Your skin cell and neurons are not the same thing..

Just because your skin doesn't manifest any kind of reaction to radiation doesn't mean there is no insult applied to the brain because their tolerance to the outside force is different.

19. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Just turn the radiation level down in Settings.

Really wish Apple would add this setting to the Control Center.

20. Macalway, Dec 23, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

The night is dark, and full of terrors.

21. Kevin.Richards macrumors member

Kevin.Richards

Just wish if we had such settings but that would mean that it'll give us cancer. But being exposed to such radiations people are still well.

22. jcmoney10 macrumors member

While I must admit that there is a part of me that worries about the potential of long term cellphone/Bluetooth use being harmful(the tech hasn't been around long enough to get a true sample size), I personally lean towards the idea that it's safe.

I read this study a couple weeks ago that took a look at the brain cancer trends over a 14 year period. What they found was that there was no real evidence that the amount of brain cancer cases had increased since the invention/mainstream use of cellphones.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20639214/

Furthermore, we've been putting radiation devices up to our heads since the early 80s. People don't realize that cordless home phones also used radio waves to connect to the phone's base station located in the house. Depending on the type of cordless phone you had, these radio waves could be stronger than some cellphones today. So in short, we've been exposing our brains to close range radiation for 30+ years without any real evidence that it's actually caused cancer.

23. Skylined69 macrumors regular

Skylined69

24. SoCalAppleWatch macrumors member

I swear to god these forums literally melt my brain cells on a daily basis. Good thing I only check twice a year to get a laugh in at all the yellow screen or .00001mm scuff panic attacks.

25. glenohumeral thread starter macrumors newbie

lol tell me when you get a brain CT in a few decades

WHO categorized cellphone as possibly carcinogenic....now we can easily mitigate its effect by putting some distance between you and the cellphone but you can't do that with "headphones" by the virtue of its design..

please don't put this to the same level as those complaining for yellow tint screen/ QC issue.

we don't know what we don't know is all I'm saying.