Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Apple said that these would work with the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac... but they didn't mention the AppleTV. I wonder why the AppleTV is being left out or if perhaps they just didn't mention it and they will work.

Has anybody with the Beats Solo 3 tryed this?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
They'll work with any Bluetooth device, which is the mode you'd use them with an AppleTV -- they'll work like a regular set of Bluetooth headphones, but won't take advantage of the new special features -- at least initially. Not sure if they'll change that with a tvOS update, or, make it something that'll only work with an ATV5.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
They'll work with any Bluetooth device, which is the mode you'd use them with an AppleTV -- they'll work like a regular set of Bluetooth headphones, but won't take advantage of the new special features -- at least initially. Not sure if they'll change that with a tvOS update, or, make it something that'll only work with an ATV5.

I doubt that it would be exclusive to the Apple TV 5... they are not exclusive to the iPhone 7.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
AppleTV still didn't get the universal sign on feature either so maybe it will come with that.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I doubt that it would be exclusive to the Apple TV 5... they are not exclusive to the iPhone 7.
We'll have to wait and see. For now, the AirPods will pair as regular Bluetooth headphones with the ATV4. They don't detect the presence of an ATV4, nor do they store ATV4 configuration and auto-switching settings in iCloud. Fingers crossed they'll at least utilize the same AAC audio format for streaming that compatible iOS and macOS devices do.
[doublepost=1474152406][/doublepost]
Is that confimed? How do you put them in pairing mode without using Apple's custom BLE extensions?
There's a standard Bluetooth pairing button on the case -- and full Bluetooth compatiblity was announced by Apple, so, yes it's "confirmed".
AppleTV still didn't get the universal sign on feature either so maybe it will come with that.
Actually, the ATV4 universal login has begun rolling out. It's a feature that requires app developers to implement it. Apple provided the API, now it's developer and service provider dependant...

59043f770da640aa9414fd0721bb77a8.jpg

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There's a standard Bluetooth pairing button on the case -- and full Bluetooth compatiblity was announced by Apple, so, yes it's "confirmed".
I didn't know that there is a pairing button. Where exactly is it?

To be clear, I know that opening the case with the earbuds inside may trigger the pairing process, but it's unclear to me whether this already puts them in pairing mode (which would be unfortunate because it would potentially expose them to access by any nearby Bluetooth device everytime you open the case) or just triggers an exchange over BLE which then causes the iPhone to put them in pairing mode using Apple's proprietary protocol.

And yes, it is correct that the Airpods use standard Bluetooth for the audio streaming. The only questionmark in my mind is whether they can be paired manually.

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I didn't know that there is a pairing button. Where exactly is it?...
Opening-the-case is for proprietary pairing with a compatible iOS or macOS device. Google is your friend, for example searching on keywords: "AirPod pairing button". The dual-purpose button is also used to perform a full AirPod reset, wiping all existing pairings and settings.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Google is your friend, for example searching on keywords: "AirPod pairing button"
I had actually done that earlier and the first link contained this statement:

"The AirPods use Bluetooth, so you would think maybe there’d be a way to pair them to an Android phone or an iOS 8 device since those have Bluetooth too, but there’s no button on the AirPods to put them into pairing mode."

But they have since updated it based on this Tweet, so there appears to be a flush pairing button on the back of the case. Good to know!

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I had actually done that earlier...
Must've been quite a bit earlier, being as the tweet came out on September 8th, and the September 7th MacWorld article was updated the same day the tweet appeared.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Must've been quite a bit earlier, being as the tweet came out on September 8th, and the September 7th MacWorld article was updated the same day the tweet appeared.
Yeah well, I tried to find out on the day it was announced. Given the ninja edits of your post above, you apparently didn't know the details either. :p

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Given the ninja edits of your post above, you apparently didn't know the details either...
Since for some odd reason you're checking, I think you'll find 99% of what I post has "ninja edits" -- it's a habit that has nothing to do with the fact that I was aware of something you weren't. At least you know now, and perhaps you've become more familiar with the utility of internet searching -- and how info on newly announced products is frequently updated, something else "good to know!" Learning stuff is fun! :p

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Since for some odd reason you're checking, I think you'll find 99% of what I post has "ninja edits"
No worries, I'm not stalking you, I just saw your post changing as I was replying to it ... probably because you edited it based on the Twitter link I provided, you Google genius. :D

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
..probably because you edited it based on the Twitter link I provided...
Not the reason for the edit, as I follow the guy on Twitter and subscribe to the MacWorld RSS feed. As evidenced in my initial post, it was something I was already aware of -- you requested 'proof' as you hadn't yet tried an internet search. Thanks anyway though for stopping by... o_O

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
We'll have to wait and see. For now, the AirPods will pair as regular Bluetooth headphones with the ATV4. They don't detect the presence of an ATV4, nor do they store ATV4 configuration and auto-switching settings in iCloud. Fingers crossed they'll at least utilize the same AAC audio format for streaming that compatible iOS and macOS devices do.
[doublepost=1474152406][/doublepost]

Actually, the ATV4 universal login has begun rolling out. It's a feature that requires app developers to implement it. Apple provided the API, now it's developer and service provider dependant...

View attachment 654086
Regarding the Universal Login. I saw this posted before but I do not think anyone has duplicated it. Have you? Not saying it was fake but maybe just early release before Apple is ready and then the removed it quickly. Not sure this is being rolled out as you are suggesting. But I am hopeful.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Regarding the Universal Login. I saw this posted before but I do not think anyone has duplicated it...
Actually, no, I haven't seen this myself as I don't personally have cable. That screenshot was from a Reddit post of someone stating it was their experience with DirectTV. CNET has a recent article mentioning an Apple rep has informed them the feature would be arriving this fall. So... who knows. One thing is for sure: it's coming, and I'll be glad I helped my mom set up her TWC account ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.