AirPods availability timing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tomb01, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Tried to buy some AirPods today, but no availability in the store. Went to the online Apple store, and it looks like the earliest availability for them to be shipped is March 9th (about 10 days out). Is that normal delay, are they selling that well, or is it possible they are starting to get ready for the next gen version?

Any thoughts on that?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It was Reported that was Apple struggling to keep up with the demand for the AirPods during the holidays. In which there was very little availability during the month of December and January.

It Also been rumor that a second version of the AirPods will be releasing late 2018.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/19/kgi-upgraded-airpods-in-second-half-2018/amp/

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Through Apple they've been backordered since just before Christmas. Though apparently if you do order online they will ship faster than stated.

I wouldn't read too much into it because 1) availability at resellers has generally been strong, and 2) it appears that when the wireless charging case is released in the coming weeks, that Apple will continue to sell the standard case (I would expect the wireless case to cost extra).

4. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Was actually hoping it was because of the imminent release of the wireless charging case, but it is likely that they just are having a problem keeping up with demand... Some resellers have it for shipping, but I don't see any stores in my immediate area that have it in stock (Apple, Best Buy, Kohls. Did find one (only 1) in stock at my local Target). Will stay optimistic and hold my order for a bit in case! :)

5. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, back from vacation, and was on the verge of ordering a set of these, til I saw the the Apple store is unable to deliver for about 2 weeks (well, actually 12 days if I expedite the shipping), which continues to make me think the limited availability indicates something....

Still likely it is just supply constraints, but also possible that it indicates a new model is close...

Looking at the 'rumors' perhaps the wireless charging case is one of the reasons for the limited availability, but I can probably wait another couple of weeks (was supposed to be for my birthday the middle of Feb.).

6. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

7. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

Few options.
    Verizon with Free 2 day shipping. https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/apple-airpods-mmef2ama/

OR if you have Amazon Prime, you get free 2 day shipping. They appear to be in stock as of 9:38pm ET
    https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MMEF2AM-Airpods-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B01MQWUXZS

I got a $100 GC from Verizon, figured I'd try these AirPods out after seeing it can connect to all my Apple products (I had no idea they could connect to my old iMac so this sealed the deal for me) I honestly had little interest in them so I did very little research on these

So I thought I would be able to just walk in to a Verizon store and get these last night Heck, they've been out a while so I thought demand is not as high. No..I was wrong. After 8, 9 calls to various Verizon stores around Philly, I found ONE store that had one in stock and that was just north of Trenton, NJ. They we re cool enough to hold it for me. Long drive, but worth it!

I see Apple Online has them, you can buy them..but "delivery March 28 - using 2 day Shipping?"
    Or shell out $8 bucks for express shipping and get it March 27. Um...huh? That's just odd!

8. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Dont really think its any indication of newer model. They are available for pickup today at my local store and searching stores in the area which would includes 11 other Apple stores in about 100 mile radius all available today.

9. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting... I live in the DFW area, and none of the stores have availability... Earliest availability from Apple is about 12 days (expedited). Bestbuy in DFW has it available for delivery by March 23rd. Back ordered on B&H. Verizon appears to have some for delivery in 4 days. Where do you live?

10. Starship67, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Also I do know if an Apple store has less than 30 units in store it will not show online for in store pickup, so it’s highly possible some of those Apple stores in your area just have under 30.
    I live in the Los Angeles area. That was actually checking all the way up to bakersafield and Santa Barbara. I don’t know how familiar you are with the area, but that’s quite a few stores and distance. That said DFW is a pretty populous area as well so who really knows.

Side note just checked again today closest store to me says March 30 and the surrounding are stores ones says tomorrow and another says the 30th other 9 stores available today. So who really knows.

11. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, continued hunting around and this AM one of the local Best Buy stores showed in store pickup available today... Got 'em!