AirPods: Bluetooth profile and dual device connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by IvanX, Mar 4, 2018.

1. IvanX macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Recently got a pair of AirPods and have a couple of questions:

1. What BT profiles do AirPods support? When I connect my Bose QC35 to an LG TV, I can control the volume. When I connect my AirPods to the TV, control is not possible. LG say headphones need to have "AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)".

2. It does not seem to be possible to have AirPods connected to an iPhone and and iPad at the same time. Use case: I'm in an Uber watching stuff on my iPad and want to answer a call that comes in. Am I correct that this is not possible and, if yes, does anyone know why? Once again QC35 don't have this issue.

Thank you in advance.

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

AirPods don't have a volume control. And by default, when using them with a non-Apple device, the double tap is a play pause. (The profile does appear to be supported though.)

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 23.51.46.png

You can quickly change the audio source on your iPhone:

IMG_0821.PNG IMG_0822 copy.png

But the real Apple solution is to be using call continuity, and just answer the call on your iPad: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204681#phone.

3. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the pointer on 1.

Regarding 2, it's not always possible in my situation, because I am not connected to any WiFi when on the move.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I thought you might be US-based and hence have a carrier that supports iCloud Wi-Fi Calling. (Hopefully it spreads globally soon!)

5. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

I am US-based and AT&T does support WiFi calling, but it still requires being on WiFi, no? Not a great deal of wifi when I am in an Uber.

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Ah, I was assuming that since you were using your iPad it would have internet access. Apologies.

7. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

What I am still not clear on is why AirPods can't dual-connect to iPhone and iPad. Is this a limitation of the W1 chip or a design decision specifically for APs?