Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Hell, why not just duct tape a lantern battery to the case for an extra boost while you’re on the go?

This is only a hack because it uses an adapter that is available everywhere attached with scotch tape to the case, and hack is the best word anyone could use to describe this.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Hell, why not just duct tape a lantern battery to the case for an extra boost while you’re on the go?

This is only a hack because it uses an adapter that is available everywhere attached with scotch tape to the case, and hack is the best word anyone could use to describe this.

...did you bother to scroll down and see it with the case attached and covering the coil? It looks great

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i just finished this up about 10 minutes ago; works perfectly! I only have charging pads downstairs and upstairs bed side, so having to get a lightnight cable out to charge the AirPods is now a thing of the past.

Took me about 5 minutes to do and the hardest part was carefully taking apart the charging receiver.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cu...ck-brings-wireless-charging-airpods-case/amp/

I understand the loophole to use the wireless charging capability based on the article, but I don't see anybody going to these lengths, even if it were easy enough to do this. Maybe because I don't see anybody wanting to tape external parts to the back of a charging case.

Personally, I could care less about wirelessly charging my AirPods. Lightning works extremely well when I need it most in the vehicle or at home. And given the battery life of the AirPods is excellent, this wouldn't be a necessity for me at all.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
I understand the loophole to use the wireless charging capability based on the article, but I don't see anybody going to these lengths, even if it were easy enough to do this. Maybe because I don't see anybody wanting to tape external parts to the back of a charging case.

Personally, I could care less about wirelessly charging my AirPods. Lightning works extremely well when I need it most in the vehicle or at home. And given the battery life of the AirPods is excellent, this wouldn't be a necessity for me at all.

Once you put the silicone case on, everything is hidden beneath. I’ve put 2 charging pads around the house and put all the lightning cables away so this works great. I don’t have to dig out a lightning cable, unplug the charging pad, now I can just put the case on the pad and the case starts charging. Less cables and it’s a clean install.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I charge my AirPods overnight on an old iPhone dock on my bedside table.

The dock holds the case vertically and means it's easy to put my AirPods in it when I've finished listening to music for the night and they easily last a full day of heavy use

Personally, while I love wireless charging on my phone (as it means I can easily keep it topped up during the day), I don't see the benefit for somethibg like AirPods that it need charging overnight, but each to their own

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
i just finished this up about 10 minutes ago; works perfectly! I only have charging pads downstairs and upstairs bed side, so having to get a lightnight cable out to charge the AirPods is now a thing of the past.

Took me about 5 minutes to do and the hardest part was carefully taking apart the charging receiver.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cu...ck-brings-wireless-charging-airpods-case/amp/

Nothing like playing with electricity. What could go wrong? You do realize there are reasons electrical plugs and adaptors have certifications and regulatory approvals they have to go through? Just because you can run an electrical cord outside to your car and install a coffee maker in your front seat doesn't mean you should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.