Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BananaX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2017
Hi,

Does anyone have same problem as me? Every time I open my AirPods case, it connects to my X right away. However, 2 out of 5 times, I have to manually change my music output to AirPods in apple music/youtube/neflex etc. otherwise, it will play via speaker while the bluetooth indicates AirPods connected.

It happens with my MacBook Pro as well. It shows AirPods connected. But, I have to disconnect AirPods and reconnect to my MBP few times until my AirPods can play.

And I remember Apple staff told me the AirPods will automatically switch to whatever Mac products you are using. My AirPods does not do that at all. I have to manually connect to my MBP/iPad/AppleTV.

This is one of the main reasons I brought the AirPods. Isn't that what the W1 chip is for?

Faulty unit? Or is there some sort of firmware update required?

BananaX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2017
Well. It sucks man. Now, I have to disconnect and reconnect my AirPods around 4 times to get it to work on my MBP. This is stupid.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hi,

Does anyone have same problem as me? Every time I open my AirPods case, it connects to my X right away. However, 2 out of 5 times, I have to manually change my music output to AirPods in apple music/youtube/neflex etc. otherwise, it will play via speaker while the bluetooth indicates AirPods connected.

It happens with my MacBook Pro as well. It shows AirPods connected. But, I have to disconnect AirPods and reconnect to my MBP few times until my AirPods can play.

And I remember Apple staff told me the AirPods will automatically switch to whatever Mac products you are using. My AirPods does not do that at all. I have to manually connect to my MBP/iPad/AppleTV.

This is one of the main reasons I brought the AirPods. Isn't that what the W1 chip is for?

Faulty unit? Or is there some sort of firmware update required?
Just tested this on my 6s & iPad Air 2.

Once the Airpods were paired, each device played audio through the Airpods in YouTube, Spotify & Apple Music without me needing to manually change the output in each App.

Going from one device to the other isn't auto-switched because sometimes (most times for me) you don't want playback on one device to be interrupted on another. For eg. If you're listening to music on your iPhone & you unlock your iPad (or MBP) to do some browsing etc. you don't want to stop having your Airpods paired to your iPhone.

This is why when you want to change the device your Airpods are paired to, you simply access the Music player in Control Centre, press the top right streaming bars & select the Airpods. Or you can 3D Touch the Settings App > Bluetooth & select Airpods from there.

The issue you're having with needing to manually change the output within Apps after the Airpods are paired to that device sounds like a bug which may be exclusive to the X?

BananaX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2017
Just tested this on my 6s & iPad Air 2.

Thanks man. I have no idea if there is a bug or bugs. When my AirPods connected to my MBP. I can only find AirPods in my iTunes airplay selection alone with Apple TV and my Bose. However, only iTunes music playing through AirPods other files can only play via MBP speakers. And it will be like iTunes music playing through AirPods, while youtube videos playing through my MBP speakers. LOL very cool experience. Went to G bar, and the staff was surprised. Got a new pair. Wish me luck, so far so good.

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.