Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Had my phone in my room and using my AirPods in the kitchen. Went to use the microwave and lost connection at first I didn’t put 2 and 2 together but then I used it again same thing happen. As soon as it stops though the connection is back. Lol

Anyone else experience this?

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
WiFi 2.4GHz and Bluetooth signals get wonky when they are near microwaves because they share similar frequencies, so its pretty normal.

5GHz WiFi works fine near microwaves.

Reactions: mcarthon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Had my phone in my room and using my AirPods in the kitchen. Went to use the microwave and lost connection at first I didn’t put 2 and 2 together but then I used it again same thing happen. As soon as it stops though the connection is back. Lol

Anyone else experience this?

It's an interference with signals likely because of a microwave frequency.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Bluetooth and WiFi uses 2.4GHz microwaves for communication. Your microwave oven uses the same frequency for heating your food. Because microwave ovens are about 1000 times stronger than Bluetooth or WiFi devices, those devices cannot "hear" each other when they are near a microwave oven.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
One Christmas when I was young (25-30yrs ago) while visiting my grandmother that her electric knife would effect my remote control car. Everytime they carved the turkey my RC car would zoom across the room. So a microwave effecting wireless headphones does not surprise me.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Heh...that's cool. It makes you wonder what frequency the RC & the transformer in the electric knife shared. :) Maybe there were other household appliances in the same spectrum.

Speaking of which - satellite radio's also in the 2.4GHz range. And then there's the 2.4GHz wireless phones (for those that still have landlines).

Is it any wonder people have so much trouble finding 2.4GHz bands for their home wifi where they get decent signal coverage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.