Airpods, how long do they last over years?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by borgqueenx, Mar 17, 2017.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

since this is quite a price for bluetooth earphones and the battery is not replacable AND fast charging is usually not good for batteries either... i wonder if the 5 hours of battery life will still be valid for after 1 or 2 years...or will we have to pay this price for every 2 years?

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

At their price point I don't see them lasting more than 2-3 years TOPS--provided they don't get lost or broken before that point. I'm sure after the 2 year mark battery life will diminish rapidly.

3. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the feeling it will be less. After 2 years the iPhone begins to lose the ability to properly hold a charge. With fast charge it will be very difficult for them to last 2 years i think.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

A lot of the reason they charge so fast is just how tiny the batteries are. They just don't hold a lot of charge, so don't take that long to charge.

5. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope you're right, but since they take long for the remaining time i do feel it has to do with fast charging...
    I dont like that these things will be useless and not battery replacable...

6. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Valid concern in my eyes. Personally, I'm looking forward to airpods series 2 or whatever, as I'm sure the battery life will be lengthened.

7. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I've had mine for about 3 years and they're still working great!

8. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

They won't bring a solution to the concerns of a short life span as they probably won't change the design to incorporate a larger battery. Expect future updates to the firmware rather than hardware.

We're all waiting on better battery technology. It will change everything.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's not fast charging it's just a tiny tiny battery.

That aside if they last me 2 years I'm fine with that I'll just replace them.

10. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yeah, I guess it's kind of sucky that probably most of our bluetooth speakers or headphones have an expiration date. It's kind of a weird thing because until now, most audio gear investments lasted longer, I mean I still use a JBL OnStage speaker that I bought 10 years ago for my iPod, and that's because good quality sound was as good 20 years ago and it will probably be about the same in another 20 years.

Apple makes great batteries, and they really hold their charge like on day one even after a long time.

11. Fthree macrumors 6502a

about 2 years in on mine and they still sound great!

12. jyn1989 macrumors newbie

jyn1989

time travel??
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    usually speakers doenst spoil that easily. My creative and logitech lasts for over 10 years until i decided to retired them for a newer one. Otherwise, another 5 years shouldnt be a problem at all.

Not so sure about highly mobile, wireless, tech filled airpods. If i can get 2 years out of mine, Ill be extremely happy. But i think ill probably purchase a new tech by the end of its first year!

13. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

By the time the battery expectance falls below 50 % you will be on to the next magical product and the
    AirPods will be a hand me down

14. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Mine are going strong after 18 years!

Oh, wait, I'm talking about my Etymotic ER4 microPros — with no expiration in sight.

I'll be very pleased if my AirPods last 3 years. (I'm guessing they'll last 2 years.)