AirPods, iMacs and 2-way audio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jeaz, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Hey,

Got a question that maybe one of the early adopters of AirPods can answer for me.

Normally, when connecting a bluetooth headset to a Mac (at least with all the ones I've tried), sound works fine as long as it's just 1-way, like just listening to music. But as soon as you enable the microphone, like join a Skype call, it swaps to a lower quality and mono. This is ok for calls, but if you say, play a game and use Skype or Discord, it's gets quite noticeable.
    As far as I've understood, it's a bandwidth issue but considering the AirPods connect individually (but appear as one), maybe it's not this time.

So, could help me find an answer to this?

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Probably won't be different. Can't say for sure until someone gets their hands on it and tests it.

3. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

I'm also interested in using Airpods for a full MAC experience with calls, dictation and webinars.

My BT experience has been less than satisfying and have resorted to wired headphones.

Most people that I see on webinars do the same.

I hope to change that & have a better experience with the Airpods.

I'll know soon enough.

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

5. jonathanbloom macrumors newbie

Glad I am not the only one with this issue. I hope these fix it.

6. Jeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeaz

I'm not well-read enough on the subject, but isn't the profiles dictated by the capacity of bluetooth? I mean, it's not like they set up these limited profiles for the heck of it.

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Ask the standards association why they set up A2DP without a microphone component. HSP is obvious enough, it's meant for a headset, you don't need more than 64k mono. Why send unnecessary data?

8. jonathanbloom macrumors newbie

Can confirm that when I was in Discord voice chat channel, sounds became "tinny" using airpods.

9. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

I tried , the sound not quite good as 1 way when using Skype.

10. Jeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Shame. Not really AirPods to blame for that, but rather Bluetooth in general.

Thanks for the answer anyways!