Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week announced the AirPods Max, the first Apple-branded over-ear headphones. Now, AirPods Max preorders are beginning to ship to customers around the world ahead of the December 15 launch date.

airpods-max-b.jpg

Although several orders for the headphones are still in the "Processing" or "Preparing to Ship" stages, one MacRumors reader has shared a screenshot of an AirPods Max order marked as "Shipped" on Apple's online store.

Priced at $549, AirPods Max have a mesh headband with a stainless steel frame that connects to memory foam ear cups. The headphones offer several features including high-fidelity audio, Adaptive EQ, Active Noise Cancellation, and spatial audio. Many reviewers have been impressed by the sound quality of the headphones.

AirPods Max will be available starting on December 15 in the United States and over 25 markets worldwide, according to Apple. Delivery estimates for all five AirPods Max colors have already slipped into 2021 on Apple.com, suggesting that either Apple is facing supply constraints or demand for the headphones is quite high.

Waiting for your AirPods Max? Be sure to track your shipment in the MacRumors forums.

Article Link: AirPods Max Begin Shipping to Customers Ahead of December 15 Launch

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Definitely feels like there was some sort of two-step embargo here -

a) You can talk about the headphones, how they feel, packaging, etc

(units ship)

b) ...now you can talk about how they sound

I suspect the performance will be decent or even better. But this delay in reviews of how they sound is really frustrating.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I purchased the AirPods 1 & 2 and also the AirPods Pro "hearing unseen" aka bought them blindly without ever testing them. I was leery doing that and spending $200-250. I couldn't imagine doing that for the AirPods Max for $500+. For that price I need to actually put them on and demo some songs in living color. (yeah I keep using visual statements for something thats auditory lol)

outdevo

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Definitely feels like there was some sort of two-step embargo here -

a) You can talk about the headphones, how they feel, packaging, etc

(units ship)

b) ...now you can talk about how they sound

I suspect the performance will be decent or even better. But this delay in reviews of how they sound is really frustrating.
I had that exact same thought. Is that common?

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

Apple last week announced the AirPods Max, the first Apple-branded over-ear headphones. Now, AirPods Max preorders are beginning to ship to customers around the world ahead of the December 15 launch date.

airpods-max-b.jpg

Although several orders for the headphones are still in the "Processing" or "Preparing to Ship" stages, one MacRumors reader has shared a screenshot of an AirPods Max order marked as "Shipped" on Apple's online store.

Priced at $549, AirPods Max have a mesh headband with a stainless steel frame that connects to memory foam ear cups. The headphones offer several features including high-fidelity audio, Adaptive EQ, Active Noise Cancellation, and spatial audio. Many reviewers have been impressed by the sound quality of the headphones.

AirPods Max will be available starting on December 15 in the United States and over 25 markets worldwide, according to Apple. Delivery estimates for all five AirPods Max colors have already slipped into 2021 on Apple.com, suggesting that either Apple is facing supply constraints or demand for the headphones is quite high.

Waiting for your AirPods Max? Be sure to track your shipment in the MacRumors forums.

Article Link: AirPods Max Begin Shipping to Customers Ahead of December 15 Launch
Waiting anxiously for my status of delivery.

Reactions: amartinez1660

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Delivery estimates for all five AirPods Max colors have already slipped into 2021 on Apple.com, suggesting that either Apple is facing supply constraints or demand for the headphones is quite high.
Honestly I have big doubts that the demand is so high for this product at this price that Apples supply chain wouldn’t be able to keep up.
I would believe it if Apple from the beginning knew they probably knew it would be a tough sell at this price and intentionally ordered a smaller number of units, so the product could seem more sought after due to slipping shipping times(say that 10x fast ?) quickly after launch, even before reviews have come in.

In other words. I don’t buy in to the hype Apple could artificially seem to imply by on purpose ordering few units. And I would get it. On that account alone Apple might be able to make some more sells just by the product seeming exclusive and illusive. ??‍♂️

Minato1990

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2017
Definitely will try to pick up one at a store through their website on Tuesday. I just want to buy to try them and will more than likely return them lmao
Should I even start looking as of tommorow?

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
Every time is see “AirPods Max,” I cringe. I’m sure they will sound amazing and will be great at noise cancellation. I just can’t wrap my mind around this “strategy.” Had they priced it for $399 or less, they would have dominated the Bose/Sony market IMO. I also could have overlooked the lack of a case and a way to power them off. $550? Not sure who they're targeting here. I doubt they will be $200-$275 better than Sony or Bose offerings. Even if they are “better,” it’s still a stretch given how much more they are.

On a side rant, can we get rid of the “Max” nomenclature? “Max” is just so cheesy, it’s like Apple is letting an 8 year old come up with these names. “Super mega-awesome Pro-Max XDR PROMAX Super Edition Plus!”

I guess another rant, why are these even called AirPods? The first thing I think of when I hear “AirPods” is compact, wireless, in ear headphones, not massive, heavy cans.
I wish Apple would just make their Pro lineup and than SE versions. Keep it simple.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Why? If you didn’t Pre Order they aren’t shipping until March you got time for the review.
Definitely will try to pick up one at a store through their website on Tuesday. I just want to buy to try them and will more than likely return them lmao
Should I even start looking as of tommorow?
Doubtful stores will even get them.

• Sad
Reactions: amartinez1660

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Doubtful stores will even get them.
Which product did stores not get stock of at the date of release or within a few days of the release? I have found that if you want a product and don't want to wait, you can usually refresh the Apple store app and find availability, usually starting the day of release. Apple always saves a little for store stock. Sometimes they may only be available for a few minutes but if you throw them in your cart quick enough, you can buy them for in store pickup. I did this with the original AirPods when they came out. I got them on release day this way.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Which product did stores not get stock of at the date of release or within a few days of the release? I have found that if you want a product and don't want to wait, you can usually refresh the Apple store app and find availability, usually starting the day of release. Apple always saves a little for store stock.
Apple stores aren’t doing SOP right now. And I can’t think of another product that had a 14 week lead time from pre order day forward. But who knows. Good luck.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Every time is see “AirPods Max,” I cringe. I’m sure they will sound amazing and will be great at noise cancellation. I just can’t wrap my mind around this “strategy.” Had they priced it for $399 or less, they would have dominated the Bose/Sony market IMO. I also could have overlooked the lack of a case and a way to power them off. $550? Not sure who they're targeting here. I doubt they will be $200-$275 better than Sony or Bose offerings. Even if they are “better,” it’s still a stretch given how much more they are.

Well for one, I suspect that the AirPods max can’t really be sold for much cheaper because that’s how much it costs to make.

At $550, and given it’s a first gen product with new industrial design, and given what we know about the HomePod, I am estimating that the cost of the AirPods max is about $450, for 20% margins. Going anything below this is basically asking Apple to eat a loss on every unit sold.

Second, I don’t think Apple intends to dominate the existing Sony / Bose market as much as they plan to create their own parallel market (which they will in turn dominate).

We may see Apple release a cheaper “sport” version of the AirPods max in the future, when Apple has had the opportunity to recoup some of the expenses on R&D and manufacturing but right now, the AirPods max are that expensive because (I suspect) they simply cost a lot to make.

On a side rant, can we get rid of the “Max” nomenclature? “Max” is just so cheesy, it’s like Apple is letting an 8 year old come up with these names. “Super mega-awesome Pro-Max XDR PROMAX Super Edition Plus!”

I guess another rant, why are these even called AirPods? The first thing I think of when I hear “AirPods” is compact, wireless, in ear headphones, not massive, heavy cans.
I wish Apple would just make their Pro lineup and than SE versions. Keep it simple.

I recall reading somewhere that “air” when used as a prefix means wireless, while pods means music. So AirPods simply refers to wireless music.

Max means a larger version of an existing product, so AirPods max means bigger wireless headphones.

It’s not exactly intuitive, but I do see a certain logic in the naming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.