Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
As much as I love these things, they are definitely going back now, as replacements in store are non-existent. This clicking in the hinge just started out of nowhere

Video:

SPG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
Looks like you got a dud. Sorry man
Well someone from Apple contacted me to apologize and asked where I returned it. They are going to fish it out of the store stock and I’m guessing send it to R&D. I did not expect that at all. He said they are monitoring the AirPods Max extremely closely.

Reactions: svanstrom

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
That definitely sucks, sorry you got a bad pair. Keep an eye on in-store stock it is trickling in, Target was getting re-stocks throughout the day today as well.

You can also go the replacement route with Apple which might expidite your replacement pair. When I had to get a defective M1 Mac replaced that was backordered by weeks, they pushed it through ASAP, though they told me they couldn't guarantee it.

pento

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
I received my AirPods Max yesterday, and they have the same problem. The right hinge makes that clicking noise when it rocks. The other side is fine. Bummer.

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2007
Good to hear they are monitoring the APM very carefully, so they will know some of us are looking for future FW upgrade to include a manual on/off switch capability.

To the OP, get it replaced and enjoy them!

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Let Apple know when there's an issue. Obviously they can't monitor each and every product that the company they hire to produce/assemble to crank out and meet their contract. Advising Apple of the issue will let them investigate quality issues from the factory it came from.

jomis

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
As much as I love these things, they are definitely going back now, as replacements in store are non-existent. This clicking in the hinge just started out of nowhere

Video:
Unfortunately, your video link doesn't work anymore. Could you please repost it, I am trying to figure out if I have the same issue. The left hinge clicks whenever I move the left earcup to the outside, on the right side there is nearly no sound unless I really clap it harder.

Thanks

Verse9

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020

Video:
Please repost your video, thanks.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020

Video:
Replacements can be found on Amazon for immediate shipping.

jirin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
My AirPods Max as well start making this clicking noise going from hinge when I move left ear cup all the way to the left and release. I think thats the spring issue (spring that pushing ear cup to the head). Seems to be minor issue as its audible only once when I put AirPods Max on my head. Should I be worried?

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
My AirPods Max as well start making this clicking noise going from hinge when I move left ear cup all the way to the left and release. I think thats the spring issue (spring that pushing ear cup to the head). Seems to be minor issue as its audible only once when I put AirPods Max on my head. Should I be worried?
No just enjoy your AirPods max, you only hear it when your putting it in no issue there.

Reactions: johntw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.