Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hi all,

Just got my AirPods Max today, and I love them!

I do have a question about using them with a headphone stand as opposed to not putting them in the case that they came with. I'm not hear to talk/argue about the case and if you like it or not, what I want to know is this:

I know there was some confusion at first about if the AirPods Max would go into their "deep sleep" mode if you did not put them in their case. I recall after a bit of back and forth that Apple said they still enter that same state, it just take a little bit longer. Do you know what that timeframe is and if that is in fact how they behave?

I do not want to use the case when I am home, and want to be able to just hang them from the headphone stand (pic acctached). But I also don't want the battery to just sit there and drain unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 457

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
I ended up backing this kickstarter (goal is met)

I didn't want the kind of stand you have picture in fears of deforming the mesh (but that could be my paranoia)

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Hi all,

Just got my AirPods Max today, and I love them!

I do have a question about using them with a headphone stand as opposed to not putting them in the case that they came with. I'm not hear to talk/argue about the case and if you like it or not, what I want to know is this:

I know there was some confusion at first about if the AirPods Max would go into their "deep sleep" mode if you did not put them in their case. I recall after a bit of back and forth that Apple said they still enter that same state, it just take a little bit longer. Do you know what that timeframe is and if that is in fact how they behave?

I do not want to use the case when I am home, and want to be able to just hang them from the headphone stand (pic acctached). But I also don't want the battery to just sit there and drain unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Here's what Apple says:
  • If you set your AirPods Max down and leave them stationary for 5 minutes, they go into a low power mode to preserve battery charge. After 72 stationary hours out of the Smart Case, your AirPods Max go into a lower power mode that turns off Bluetooth and Find My to preserve battery charge further.
  • If you put your AirPods Max in the Smart Case when you're not using them, they go into a low power mode immediately to preserve battery charge. After 18 hours in the Smart Case, your AirPods Max go into an ultralow power mode that turns off Bluetooth and Find My and maximizes battery life.
As to how they behave in real life, user accounts vary, with some users experiencing various degrees of battery drain and there is speculation the recent firmware update addressed battery issues. (Personally, I've been too busy using them to think about battery life. I just use them every day and charge them once in a while.)

You might enjoy this thread on APM headphone stands and mounts.

Reactions: spencecb

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I ended up backing this kickstarter (goal is met)

I didn't want the kind of stand you have picture in fears of deforming the mesh (but that could be my paranoia)
I definitely like this option! I wonder how much it will cost once they begin production? I'm okay with my stand for now, but I think I may order this if loss of charge starts to become a problem. From what I have read, directly from Apple, the AirPods Max go into the same low power mode after five minutes of them not being used if they are left stationary. I think I am fine with this. And, I don't see how the mesh could deform. Seems like it will easily go back to its intended shape as soon as I take them off the stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.