Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yes, they are. Dozens of people have reviewed them and found them no better than $250 Sonys. Certainly not $300 better.
And many others have reviewed them and/or torn them down and found they're incredibly well built and have stellar sound and noise cancellation.

There are people who will roast you for paying for an iPhone too, telling you whatever $400 Android phone is "just as good" -- and for them maybe it is.

But that's the beauty of the marketplace: you're free to buy your Sonys, I'm free to buy these. Does it just bother you that others are paying for something you don't think is worth it? Maybe recognize that not everyone's perception of value is the same as yours and maybe don't feel compelled to weigh in on something you have no intention of buying.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
EEEEEEEK What’s wrong with the silver ones???
I have the silver and they're fine. I think the white pads will likely show wear/dirt sooner than the darker colors though. If I had a do-over I'd probably pick the grey but it's not exactly keeping me up at night. What I really wish is that you could pick the headphone and pad color separately!

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Future Macrumors Articles:

“Apple Retires AirPods Max”
”Looking to Grab AirPods Max Before They're Gone? These Retailers Still Have Stock”

• Disagree
Reactions: ignatius345

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I have the silver and they're fine. I think the white pads will likely show wear/dirt sooner than the darker colors though. If I had a do-over I'd probably pick the grey but it's not exactly keeping me up at night. What I really wish is that you could pick the headphone and pad color separately!
And headband! They're so easy to remove, they have to be user-replaceable. Also while we're at it, how about third-party ear cups? I'm not a big fan of the fabric Apple used.

My silver AirPods Max had a brown-isn discoloration (probably dirt, sweat, and sawdust as I was using them in the garage), but I washed them and it came out.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
And headband! They're so easy to remove, they have to be user-replaceable. Also while we're at it, how about third-party ear cups? I'm not a big fan of the fabric Apple used.

My silver AirPods Max had a brown-isn discoloration (probably dirt, sweat, and sawdust as I was using them in the garage), but I washed them and it came out.

What’s your beef with the fabric? I’m just curious because it doesn’t hit all the marks for me either but can’t really say why....

• Wow
Reactions: diamornte

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
What’s your beef with the fabric? I’m just curious because it doesn’t hit all the marks for me either but can’t really say why....
It’s stiff and itchy, not comfortable after 45 minutes or so. Plus it makes a lot of sound when it rubs against things.

• Wow
Reactions: diamornte and BF1M

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Yeah, it seems like a missed opportunity to have not rolled out a customization thing to make combos of headband, earcup and earpad colors. I don't have any beef with the fabric myself but my white (gray, really) earpads are showing a bit of dinginess after 2 months of use and I'm not sure how to clean them.

The main comfort issue I have is just the weight and the corresponding clamping force necessary to keep them in place on the head. I can't get more than 2-3 hours of use before they start feeling uncomfortable.

• Wow
Reactions: diamornte
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.