Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I have the AirPods Max and they never charge above 70%. I ended up getting them replaced and now the new set still doesn’t get above this. Any ideas? It has to be some sort of software thing in iOS?

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
what IOS you on and which devices

mine from december have no problem charging to 100 and i think ive charged them twice or three times now.

jab234

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2021
Update. I stuck them in the case and they charged from 68-69% in 45 minutes. Do you guys charge them in or out of the case?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Update. I stuck them in the case and they charged from 68-69% in 45 minutes. Do you guys charge them in or out of the case?
In the case. I don’t think that’s it though. Not sure the answer especially since I RMA’ed a set already.

jab234

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2021
In the case. I don’t think that’s it though. Not sure the answer especially since I RMA’ed a set already.
Yea this is strange. I only checked because of this thread. I've only done short charging spurts but never realized they weren't going above 70%. I'm assuming a lot of people also have this problem and just don't know it. I've got 2 days to go to return them thankfully. Also suffering from overnight battery drain. This is just another nail in the coffin. Will wait for Airpods Max v2.0.

Reactions: wuman82

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
This is normal. It is a battery management thing.

Unlike AirPods Pro, you don’t have the choice to toggle the battery optimization option on Max. So it’s on by default. Basically the software learns your using habits and only charges quickly to about 80% and waits, then it charges very slowly from 80% to 100% so that you will have 100% when you normally need to use it. The slow charge between 80% and 100% is to reduce battery aging.

You can check this video from Max Tech, they tested and explained this:

Reactions: kirk.vino

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007

Unlike AirPods Pro, you don’t have the choice to toggle the battery optimization option on Max. So it’s on by default. Basically the software learns your using habits and only charges quickly to about 80% and waits, then it charges very slowly from 80% to 100% so that you will have 100% when you normally need to use it. The slow charge between 80% and 100% is to reduce battery aging.

Even leaving them plugged in for 24 hours?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007

Just watched the video. It says to 90% in an hour and a half. I will leave them plugged in all night from completely dead and will get to the magic 69% that it goes to.

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Just watched the video. It says to 90% in an hour and a half. I will leave them plugged in all night from completely dead and will get to the magic 69% that it goes to.
Maybe try a different charger? or try to check the battery level from different devices? Same problem with 2 of them in a row is kind weird ?

Reactions: kirk.vino

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Maybe try a different charger? or try to check the battery level from different devices? Same problem with 2 of them in a row is kind weird ?
I can try another device but got the same from my iPhone and iPad. Tried two different chargers as well. Will try a USB C to lightning now and see how that works. Definitely weird though but I don’t think it’s actually getting fully charged. Still has to be software related.

jab234

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2021
The problem was fixed for me after reset. Charged past 70 to 100. Except now it shows 100% after 2 hours of use.. something's funky with these headphones.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I finally got them to 100% when using a USB C lightning cable versus a traditional USB cable. Doesn’t make sense why that’s the case though but whatever I’ll take it.

Reactions: obargy

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Same here - mine USED to charge up to 100% regularly; now, never more than 70%, even leaving them plugged-in to a known good USB-C / Lightning charging cable overnight :/

MartyTannen1981

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
Same problem here! Are there any news? Tried everything. They stuck at 65%...
Please help me...ok, problem solved. Only the original apple cable with apple usb Power adapter is working...

Last edited:

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Seems like they drop below a very low voltage at 70% charge and as a result some chargers will not charge them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.